picture distortion from speaker placement

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DerekO, Feb 13, 2003.

1. DerekO

DerekO Auditioning

I have recently purchased a Toshiba 34HDX82 and have noticed some distortion in the right side of the picture. Horizontal lines begin to bend toward the middle of the screen as they move to the right. I moved the speaker which was about one foot from the right side of the TV thinking this may be the culprit, but the distortion is still there. Did I cause permanent damage to my TV by putting the speaker too close?

2. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    If you did not also see discolouration then the speaker probably is not the culprit. Actuallym in the presence of a magnetic field, the picture would suffer from discolouration before it had line bending.

Moved to Displays

3. Dan_Isaacs

Dan_Isaacs Extra

Along these same lines, I've noticed since getting a new entertainment center that on channel 3 from my digital cable, there are waves of parabolic lines flowing from what appears to be the point closest to my reciever. It only happens on that channel. It's not all that noticable, but enough to annoy.

The TV is a Mits VS-50501, receiver is a Sony DB-1070, using S-video from the digital cable box routed through receiver.