Picture blackout

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by MichaelM, Jan 8, 2003.

1. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

Hi:
    I have a small issue with my Sony Trinitron TV. I have a Pioneer DVD player connected to it (through a receiver, but this problem also happens when the DVD player is connected directly to the TV).

You know how when you have the TV on the "Video" channel, as opposed to TV, it is a blank screen and usuall says "Video" at the top? Well, on some tv's the word just stays up for a few seconds. On this TV the word stays as long as the TV is on and no other components are on, so it's just a blank video screen.

Well, here's the problem. Sometimes when watching a DVD with dark scenes the "Video" screens pops up and the DVD image goes away and it switches back and forth, jumpy-like, if that makes sense. Basically, the video screen (with the word "video") pops up and goes off and on until the scene lightens up a bit. What I did to stop it initially is go into the DVD's setup menu and change the video setting from "Cinema" to "Standard". That seemed to do the trick and for months it was fine. But recently I adjusted colors and brightness on my TV and it started doing it again. The funny thing is it doesn't do it all the time. And most sources are fine it's just DVD's really. It's like the TV thinks there is no signal coming and throws up that video screen.

Any way to just stop it altogether?

2. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Sounds like you're getting a weak signal from the DVD player. The problem could lie in a poor connection or a defective output on the DVD or defective input on the TV.

Can you try the DVD player on a different input and see if the problem persists? What type of connection are you using? Component, composite, s-video? Try a different
    type of connection.

Also, what is the quality of your cable connection? If you are using a cable designed for composite input as a component connection.. you may have cable impedence problems.

In short, make sure you have a proper quality connection, if thats so, experiment with different inputs, and different TVs/DVD players if you can to try and localize where the problem is.

Good luck.. keep us posted on what you find.

3. AaronJB

AaronJB Second Unit

Sounds to me like a bad cable. I recently had something similar with my XBOX-to-TV hookup - replaced the cable & it didn't happen again.

4. MichaelM

MichaelM Agent

Actually I have the DVD player hooked up via an S-Video cable to the receiver and then from the receiver to the S-Video input on the TV. But I had the problem when I had it connected directly to the TV via the S-Video input.

I guess I could try the composite in. There's only on S-Video in and one Composite in.

But the weird thing is it only happens during dark scenes. Really, it's like the TV "thinks" no signal is coming.

The cables I use are Monster cables. I guess I could try some different ones.

Turning the brightness up on the TV seemed to help a little. And like I said in my earlier post, switching from "Cinema mode" to "Standard mode" on the DVD player's setup menu took care of 99% of the problem.