Picture better when bypassing S-Video on Receiver?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Benjamen, Feb 5, 2003.

1. Benjamen

Benjamen Auditioning

We have 3 sources going into our receiver, DVD, DSS Satellite, and a VCR. We have S-Video cables running from the DVD and DSS into the receiver, which runs one into the TV.

I was playing around with the connections and found that if I bypass the receiver with the video connections, running them straight into the TV, the picture is absolutely great. I noticed the same thing if I run co-axial cables from the VCR straight into the TV.

Why is this? Is this normal? Possibly something wrong with our receiver? Our receiver is an older Yammy RX-V870.

I'm thinking the way to go is getting an S-Video switcher and running all sources to the TV through that, while still running the audio through the receiver. Sound good?

Thanks

2. Greg-ST

Greg-ST Stunt Coordinator

I think in most instances there are possibilities for signal interference within receivers. Another reason could be that the more "things" the signal has to travel through the lower the quality will be from the original. A straight-through patch cable will give you the best quality.

3. HowardGjr

HowardGjr Stunt Coordinator

Benjamin,

Just curious, what differences do you see in the picture?

Take care.
    Howard

4. Benjamen

Benjamen Auditioning

5. Grant B

Grant B Producer

newer recievers are coming out with bigger BW for video
    older models the video was almost an afterthought

generally direct is better, but with TVs with only 1 or 2 inputs, its not an option
    Love my sony xbr 6 inputs!!

6. RandyMe

RandyMe Auditioning

Hi,
    Maybe someone can help me figure this one out.

I have the Yamaha RX-V2300.

I'm hooking digital-CATV & a DVD into an older Panasonic 27" TV (TV has RF Coax, S-Video & composite ins, no component). The cable box has an RF Coax out which I put directly into the TV, the DVD has both s-video & component outs, I'm using the s-video right now just because I don't have component cables handy.
    I like the "as direct as possible" theory, but I still need to have some sort of receiver -> TV connection to have the On Screen Display (OSD) work.
    I hooked the composite video out from the receiver out to the TV which did provide the OSD, but it totally flipped out the DVD picture. As soon as i unplugged the composite line from the receiver it was OK. How can I get the OSD to work without messing up the DVD picture?

Thanks

7. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Look at the Receiver section for a post about "Inexpensive HD Video Switching". It will give you some ideas for nice switches that respond to your remote.

I'm suprised that running through your receiver degrades the signal. Usually it does little/no harm.

I can think of a few reasons:

- The receivers video switching is bad (this is the knee-jerk thought).

- The back of the receiver is a "pinch-point" for a lot of cords. The proximity to the power wires (AC power and speaker wires) may be injecting noise into the SVideo cable.

- The cable from the receiver to the TV could be bad/picking up noise.

- One or more cables could be bad (with the cable from the receiver to the TV being common - most likely suspect).

Try using the cable from "Monitor Out" and plug it directly into the DVD player. Is the video still better using this cable? That would eliminate one of my reasons.

Are your cables separated into roughly 3 bundles?:
    • Power cords
    • Speaker Wires
    • Interconnects

Putting the receiver on the BOTTOM shelf of your rack helps organize the cables. This allows the speaker wires to flow out with minimal drop and they dont obscure the back of any other equipment. Then you can pull the power cords to one side and let the interconnects hang down the middle.

Some suggestions for testing: find a complex scene with lots of colors and straight lines and freeze the picture. Now try comparing direct vs through-the-receiver wiring.

Some of the static test-patterns on Avia or Video Essentials are also great. There is one with very fine lines that helps spot one type of problems, then the test screen with contrasting colors in vertical bars is also good (look at the intersections of colors. You are trying to spot razor-sharp lines without fuzz/bluring/bloom).

Try these and let us know if anything improves the picture running through the receiver. I am concerned because I often recommend running SVideo through the receiver and I'm a big Yamaha fan. You'd be the first in several years that sees problems with this layout.