Picture and Sound Quality on XBOX

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by CraigK, Jan 23, 2004.

1. CraigK

CraigK Stunt Coordinator

I was wondering...how good is the picture and sound quality of the XBOX when playing DVDs? I have the HDTV pack for it and currently have it hooked up to my 48" JVC IART RPTV?

Really curious...because I want to know if taking the plunge to by the $50 adaptor for the DVD is worth it?

Thanks in advance!

2. Ernest Yee

Ernest Yee Supporting Actor

I would say the Xbox is pretty average in terms of playing DVDs.

There's also several downsides:
    - DVD mechanism is prone to failure so dvd playback might be detrimental.
    - Xbox has loud fans inside which would become a distraction
    - At $50, you could probably purchase a cheap progressive anyways.

3. Michael Young

Michael Young Stunt Coordinator

Also Xbox does not have progressive scan capability when playing DVD's. I made the mistake of buying the DVD kit to use with the HD pack, but no Progressive scan with the DVD player.

4. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Plus no progressive without mods.

It isn't horrible in picture and sound, I used it for a few months but went back to a separate DVD player.

5. ChrisLazarko

ChrisLazarko Supporting Actor

I used my Xbox for a while as a DVD player in my room... didn't have the room for a DVD player so the Xbox worked good.

My biggest fear now is that my Xbox seems to not be working properly as it should. I bought Xbox for the first day it came out so I am curious as to wether the first Xbox's weren't as good or what.

It seems as if sometimes when my Xbox tries to read games (none of which have ANY scratches as I take care of my stuff) that it will sometimes say it cannot read it...

Anyone else have this problem? Should I worry?

The Xbox probably has a total of about 10,000 hours of use on it or so.

6. Mike_Skeway

Mike_Skeway Second Unit

Hate to say it but your XBOX sounds like it is on it's way out. I know several people that had their XBOX do exactly that before it died.

7. Michael Cawcutt

Hey Chris.

My brother and I received an X-Box two Christmas' ago. It stopped reading games every other game or so, and than stopped reading them all together. X-Box puts out great titles, but sometimes like all electronic's they'll fritz out on yea. If yea can exchange it do it, PLUS! right now their offering two free games with X-Box's [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Anthony.Lin

Anthony.Lin Stunt Coordinator

I don't know - my XBox has done that several times over the past year and before. I bought it the month it came out and it still works perfectly, other than the occassional freeze/disc read error every couple months or so.

9. Brian Johnson

Brian Johnson Supporting Actor

After I bought my Xbox, I needed some cash so I sold my DVD player. While the XBOX works (most of the time), I could instantly tell the difference in picture quality.
    So I went back & bought a true DVD player (thanks to Todd Hochard here at the HTF I got a really nice Denon)
    The Xbox will never see another DVD [​IMG]

Off topic: If you're still interested in buying the DVD kit/remote then email me & I'll sell ya mine.