Picture alignment, Sony KV-27S46

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett_H, Oct 10, 2001.

1. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Hi,
    A while back I purchased a Sony 27" TV "open box" at Best Buy. I got a pretty good price on it, but it wasn't until a while after I got it that I realized why it was probably an open box in the first place:
    The picture is rotated counter-clockwise, such that the bottom-right is approx 1" higher than the bottom-left. This is most apparent when watching anything with defined lines (PS games, widescreen movies/TV shows).
    Does anybody know of an adjustment for this? Is this something a person with moderate electrical skills could fix? I'm pretty capable with a soldering iron, but I suspect that this is simply a potentiometer of some sort inside the unit. Any ideas? Does anyone know of a service manual that can be found in electronic format?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    {please be gently, it's my first post...}
    -Brett.

2. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

This is probably not an electrical adjustment but a tilted yoke. Due to the fact it would need to be adjusted while the set was running it might not make the best DIY project. Despite being "open box" a factory authorized servicer (not the in-house repair department) would probably do it in warranty. Sony , in general, does not recognise the existence of as-is sets. Even their refurbished units carry full warranty. Only sets which were exchanged after the original customer sent registration cards in are a problem. Even then your receipt is your "Proof of Purchase". The main exception are sets sold at Sears; they carry no factory warranty.

3. Yohan Pamudji

Yohan Pamudji Second Unit

Is there a "tilt correction" menu item in the setup menu? Sony Wegas have that option, but I don't know about your set.
    ------------------
    This screen has been formatted to fit your movie.

4. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Thanks for the suggestions so far!
    Steve: It's my primary set, so I didn't want to be without it for that long if at all possible. As a last resort I'll look into finding a local repair shop.
    Yohan: I wasn't able to find anything regarding picture alignment on the on-screen menus that are readily apparent. Wonder if there's some type of hidden config menu?
    -Brett.

5. Chris Rock

Chris Rock Supporting Actor

I've got a buddy with the same issue.
    Anyone know how to access the "Service Menu" if there is one for this set?
    ------------------
    "You advance yourself only by my good graces."

6. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

...just a bump in case anyone has information...

7. Gordon Moore

Gordon Moore Second Unit

This site contains codes for entering the service menu on most sony tv's.
    http://members.accessus.net/~090/awh/sonyadj.html
    the long and short of it is:
    [PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [VOL+], [PWR ON]
    [PWR OFF] - [DISP], [5], [PWR ON]
    Write everything down before you play with ANY settings. You could severly cripple your picture.

8. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Gordon,
    Thanks for the link!
    I looked over this list of available adjustments and I'm not sure if I saw anything that would help correct my problem.
    The closest that I could find was "RTCO - Raster Rotation". Does that sound right?
    I was able to access the service menu, but unfortunately I wasn't able to find that selection on the menu. I played with a few settings (after writing them down!) but I didn't get anywhere.
    If anyone cares to look over the settings outlines in the link above and could point out which setting I should go after, I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    -Brett.

9. Nicole P

Nicole P Stunt Coordinator

Brett,
    RTCO is the one you want.
    Here is a post at the Sony Wega user group that confirms it.
    If you cannot find this option, perhaps your model has a different service menu listing. What is the model number of your TV?
    Cheers,
    Nicole P.
    ------------------

"So where does the power come from, to see the race to its end? From within."

[Edited last by Nicole P on October 16, 2001 at 10:36 PM]

10. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Nicole,
    The model # is KV-27S46 (Non-WEGA, approx 1.5 years old). I wasn't able to find the entry for RTCO, but I was a bit tired and I might have missed it. I'll try to confirm it tonight when I get home.
    Thanks for the input!
    edit: The is no entry for RTCO in the menu (that I was able to find). Does anyone have another suggestion, or am I left with taking it to the service dept?
    -Brett.
    [Edited last by Brett_H on October 17, 2001 at 05:22 PM]

11. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Just a bump.
    I never did find the RTCO setting, any other suggestions?
    Thanks,
    -Brett.

12. Mike Bushroe

Mike Bushroe Auditioning

Brett,
    I have a 32 inch non-wega Sony, and it has several problems. I got factory in home service to fix the rotated image, but there was not much they could do about the keystone effect. The yoke probably does need to be mechanically rotated on the back of the tube. High voltage stuff. If you try it yourself, be VERY carefull (and have someone ELSE there to call 911 if you electricute yourself).
    On mine, and presumably all the recent, non-wega, Sonies, there are virtually no electronic convergence controls. It is all mechanical movements of the deflection yoke and magnets. Much potential for DIY making it worse, not better. And no numerical setties to restore, either.
    There is also a full field service manual available from Sony. I got the one for mine, and it has the remote command string to get into the service menu, some limited explaination of some of the entries, and how to save or abort the update. I think it was about $25 to $40. I had to call the Sony tech support number to get the part number for the correct manual, and the sales office to actually buy it.
    I have used my manaul many times since buying it, so I feel it was a good investment. Especially if you own a copy of Avia or VE and like to tweak.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike Bushroe