picture adjustment questions

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bob.Chest, Aug 22, 2002.

1. Bob.Chest

Bob.Chest Auditioning

The picture on my new JVC AV27D203 is too dark for my taste even after much fiddling with the standard controls for picture,brightness, etc. The "factory" settings (middle of the scale) out of the box were very dark. I can get a better (brighter) picture with the brightness setting 3/4 or higher on the scale, but there still seems to be a darker than normal cast to the picture- black areas are really black and little detail is seen. From what I understand, having the brightness way up isn't great for the tube either. I'd appreciate feedback on things I could do to try to improve the set's picture. I really like the set's picture sharpness and features so I'd like to try to do what I can with it before getting another set. I assume getting a calibration DVD like AVIA would be a first step? And how about getting into the service menu (Does anybody know the code to access it please?) & making further adjustments there? Would I need a JVC service manual? Thanks for your help!

2. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

I would say before you fool around with the service menu get the AVIA disc & calibrate the set. If after calibrating the set & getting used to the calibrated picture it's still too dark for you it just might be you like overly "Bright Pictures" if the set doesn't calibrate well using AVIA I would then try another JVC set because maybe there is something wrong with your set. But I do know that when I have adjusted friends sets for them & then seen the set again most of them have cranked up the brightness again even after telling them to LIVE WITH THE SET AWILE & YOU WILL GET USED TO THE "BETTER" DIMMER PICTURE. The big problem is that most consumers & the tv makers have always pushed BRIGHTER IS BETTER & it's NOT.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Welcome aboard, Bob:

Considering what Bill just told you, may I ask what your typical viewing habits have been thus far when it comes to basic picture adjustments? What sort of set were you using before, and how did you have it adjusted in terms of contrast, brightness, color levels, and "sharpness" levels--and which color-temp settings have you been using?

Thanks.

4. Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy Supporting Actor

I know exactly what your talking about, Bob, and my best advice would be: listen to these guys.

I recently got a new 32" Toshiba 32A42, after having watched an aging 27" Mistubishi for over 10 years. The picture is "darker" than the Mistu. was, but of course on the Mistu. I had the brightness and contrast up halfway, and the sharpness at least 3/4 of the way up ("why wouldn't I want it sharper?!"). I now know I was "edge-enhancing" the hell out of it and driving it in "torch-mode."

My new set has a radically different type of picture and is taking some getting accustomed to, but I'm convinced the problem is me. I've gotten used to it enough to realize it looks much more film-like, with the blacks looking absolutely beautiful and the colors rich and varied. And this is on a set that is certainly far from top-of-the-line and is yet to be calibrated.

As a novice myself, my best advice would be to hang around this place and ask questions (remember, the only dumb questions are those not asked). In the newbie forum you'll see me alot! Can't believe how ingnorant I was--but ya' gotta' learn sometime, and now is my time.

5. Bob.Chest

Bob.Chest Auditioning

Thanks to you all for your feedback! I've ordered an Avia DVD to calibrate the set. Per Jack's questions: I had a 19" Magnavox basic TV for 12 yrs, I don't know what the picture adjustments were but I can tell you I was of the "brighter is better" way of thinking then. I was happy with the picture/set until I recently got a computer system w/ DVD & a Trinitron (Vivitron-Gateway) 17" monitor , whose sharpness blew away the Magnavox's pic. I decide to upgrade the TV to 27" & tried these models at home:JVC 27A33(poor cable reception),Toshiba 27A42 (great pic but WAY slow channel changer-I like to surf fast)& Philips PS55S (terrible geometry, and this on 3 other sets I saw in different showrooms!)I watch mainly basic cable w/ occasional DVD viewings. The Philips had a picture that I was most comfortable with and use to, the others were darker in the same vein as my current JVC 27D203. I do like the sharpness & color of the 27D203 as well as the blackness of the blacks-I'm just frustrated by not being able to get the detail I want out of the darker areas. Is this an unreasonable goal?Anyway, thanks again & I look forward to using this forum.