Pics of theater constuction (updated)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jayson klimek, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Jayson klimek

These pictures were taken today 1/19/02. I'll be working on it a bit more this weekend. The wife seems to like the idea of a theater in the basement as long as I finish it and dont leave the job half done. Its good to here from you all.
    Good night.
    http://www.nuephase.com/theater

2. Ernesto Santos

Ernesto Santos Stunt Coordinator

Looks like a great job so far. My hat's off to you. I would never consider taking on a project like that on my own. I am almost as excited as I'm sure you are to see the finished product. Good luck and continued success.

3. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Looking good. [​IMG] I'm excited to see how it turns out.
    Jon

4. lpodoll

lpodoll Extra

What are your room dimensions? Your stack of polks is making me drool.

5. RAF

RAF Lead Actor

Looking gooooood!!

It's bringing back some sweet (and not so sweet) memories. But the dust, the inconvenience, etc. are well worth it. What your estimated completion date?

6. Kevin Flanagan

Looks really nice. Is the time travel machine that lets you post things the day before they happened also installed in the basement? [​IMG]
    K

7. Jayson klimek

oops..... wrong date system clock is off a few days.....

time machine would be cool.

8. Jayson klimek

The room dimensions are 28 x 22.5 I dont have a completion date yet, though drywall should be in about a week. I still have to install the second left rear speaker cable, another sub cable to the front and a component video cable up top before I can start the drywall.

9. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Very nice work. I have a lot of respect for you now.

10. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

Jayson:

Will you be running speaker wire for the inevitable upgrade to 7.1 surround?

Very, very nice so far. I'd love to have a large room to work with if I was doing a HT project. What aspect ratio are you considering for the 150" screen? 2.35:1 (10HT projector coupled with an ISCO II anamorphic lens, scaling, and constant height/varible width masking scheme) or 1.78:1 (HDTV ratio) to match the widescreen panel of your projector?

How high is the ceiling?

Are you considering a new Stewart Filmscreen "FireHawk" screen for digital projectors (supposidly has more punch for lower lumen projectors than the GrayHawk to allow for a larger screen size, but still adds greater black level than a normal screen for the less than black levels of DLP, D-ILA, and LCD)? Will it be THX acoustically transparent material?

Using Guilford of Maine acoustically transparent cloth stretched over properly arranged acoustical paneling or batting?

Questions, questions...

Dan

11. Jayson klimek

The wiring for 7.1 will be there. Im going to use the default aspect of the projector. However the anamorphic lense sounds nice, Ill have to research it a bit. I didnt know that you could install a lense to do 2.35 Please tell me more about it somtime.

The ceiling is 8ft. See here is my problem. I want a 150" screen, but heard bad things about perf screens and lcd projectors. Is there an alternative. In the last couple of days I realized that im not going to get 150" screen without having it acousticly transparent. So the way it looks now is, im gonna have to go with 120". The hight of the center channel speakers would be to high for 150". Unless I mount the speaker in the ceiling facing the listener and angled slightly down. I dont know. I noticed in the local Amc theater here, the center speakers were up top. so maybe thats an option. Right now my plans for this theater only deal with the framing and other constuction. I have not yet decided on what materials i want to use on the walls. I did find a roll of Black acousticly transparent cloth at our local fabric outlet. they want $6.95 sq yard. I dont know how that compares in price with other stores but sounds like it will cost me a good bit of money.

I just bought this house 3 months ago and could not wait to start this project. So all my planning is not done. Any links you may have to help me in my decision making would be a big help.........gotta run ...work to be done.

12. Chuck C

Chuck C Cinematographer

150" [​IMG] Awesome, awesome
    I cannot wait to graduate, get a high degree, a high paid career, a wife, a family, and corvette, and then have a pet project like yours!
    What kind of color schemes do you plan on using? Are you carpeting the walls or anything? How's the seating gonna work?

13. Jayson klimek

I wish i had everybody from hometheaterforum here to help. Theres alot of smart folks out there. Plus it would be alot of fun. I dont have any set colors yet. but im leaning towards a black front, charcoal grey sides and back and ceiling with a red so dark that its almost black. On the sides i would like panels of dark reds and grey. I would like the front wall completly dead of sound, start heavy with the sound panels on the sides and as i work my way back, kind of taper off a bit so that the surrounds can bounce around just a little. just enough to fill the back area.