What's new

Pics of the Ferry Theatre finally ready for public viewing (1 Viewer)

Dan_Morez

Agent
Great looking theater!...Love the color and layout...How do you like the center channel over the screen?....the reason I ask is because that's where I'm committed to putting mine, when it's eventually finished.

Dan M.

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
I was afraid the center speaker would be distracting, but it's not. My other concern was that it would sound displaced (too high above the picture), but that is not a problem either.

The biggest problem was finding a way to mount the speaker. The Fluance AV-HTBs only have a key hole type mount space, and I could not find anything that worked well for hanging from the ceiling. I finally just made a shelf that angles down to direct the sound.

Sound system consists of Fluance AV-HTBs, HK AVR125 receiver, Dayton 10" sub, and cheap (but good) 12gauge speaker wire from Lowes. Total cost for audio was under $500, but I'm thrilled with how it sounds. (Thanks again forum members for lots of great advice!!)

Lyle_E

Stunt Coordinator
Finally I get to comment on your theater...(cant add comments to photos in the galleries)

I love it.. very nice job.. I like how you set up the front stage..

So many nice theaters..

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
How did you make the arch on your stage? And also the Arch in the wall over your screen? Thats what Im building this week.

Dave_vega

Stunt Coordinator
awesome work man..congrats! :emoji_thumbsup:

I just bought a house myself and now I must design a basement theatre..should be fun.. ;) hopefully it turns out as clean as yours did..

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
Mike, I first built the stage using 2x8s and leftover plywood. (Aside: I tore out an old wet bar and kept the back shelf area - that's now the DVD rack. The old wood from the bar was in good shape, so I used it for the stage floor.)

Once the stage was done I framed out the two walls on top of the stage. The top of the arch is just a 2x4 screwed into the rafters. The curve of the arch is just plywood and simple framing. (Another aside: I had a happy accident when building the arch - I had already cut the curved step from a 1x10 piece of plywood and had the leftover scrap. The scrap turned out perfect for the arch curve!)

Once framed, I just covered everything with drywall. By bending the drywall slowly, and using cut pieces as necessary, it curved nicely for the arch. The worst part was mudding the edges. I used plastic edging, and it was a real pain to work with. (Remember: putty is my buddy.)

Dave, it is fun. But it took a really, really long time doing everything by myself. I never tackled (and finished) such a big project before, and the sense of accomplishment is great. (Corny, I know, but heck after all that work I'm entitled to a few corny platitudes.)

MikeMon

Stunt Coordinator
Can you tell me the measurements?
What is the width of the 2x4 wall ( from the corner out before the arch)also what is the depth?

what size is your screen ( I only have a rptv, but my upgrade will be this year so I want it ready)

how deep are your sophits? ( depth from the ceiling and from the wall)

I am trying to complete my framing by wed. so I can start drywall.

Nice job you did and I like how you were able to find thrifty items to do it with, I am impressed.

Mike

Jack Ferry

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jack Ferry
The arch walls are 16-1/2" x 4-3/4". The archway opening between the walls is 10-1/2 feet. Ceiling is 7'2" from floor. Soffits are 8" deep and 9" tall. (Check on the size of the recessed lights you want to use before committing to soffit size.) The real reason for building the soffits to begin with was for running wire through the room.

Columns are 13-1/2" wide and 8" deep. The space between the columns is 32-1/2" (sufficient for 27" wide posters). Measurements are as finished after using 1/2" drywall.

Screen size is 84" x 48". The outer measurement (with 1x3s) is 89-1/4" x 52-1/4". This is not exactly 16:9, but rather the actual size I got from my InFocus 4805.

Stage is 2 foot wide and 8" tall.

Good luck Mike!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks