1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Pics of PE Cherry Vinyl

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Troy R, Nov 11, 2003.

1. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone out there have some pics of the cherry vinyl from Parts Express? I'm going to make a flexy rack and was thinking of using the PE vinyl but I've never seen it before. The pic on the PE web site isn't real clear so I was hoping to see it before I spend the money.

The more pics, the better!

Thanks,
    Troy

2. Ronnie Ferrell

Ronnie Ferrell Second Unit

I would ask others who have used it if they think it looks good instead of asking to see a picture. Most vinyl looks like crap when photographed even if it looks really good in person. Heck vinyl usually looks like crap when you get it on the roll. You have to apply it before you get an idea of what it looks like. Even a lot of real wood veneer looks horrible in a photo as opposed to in real life.

Just a thought!

Ronnie

3. Jeff Meininger

Jeff Meininger Second Unit

I did my speakers in PE cherry vinyl.

All 5 speakers
    Close-up

The color is more accurate in the "All 5 speakers" photo. The "Close-up" photo shows the grain and texture pressed into the vinyl, but the flash made it look brighter (and more orange) than it really is.

4. Bob Kavanaugh

Bob Kavanaugh Second Unit

Very nice Jeff. Here is a thread where Joe Hsu shows off his flexy with PE Cherry vinyl.

5. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

6. Juan Castillo

Juan Castillo Second Unit

Jeff, how do you cut it at the corners to get a "seamless" as possible look. What do you do to protect the rest of the cabinet and possibly already laminated sides as you cut the excess off?

Should this stuff stick to any already painted or laminated materials.. I would love to re-do my floor standers, that are black ash, into some of the nice cherry, along with my CD/DVD rack that I painted doo-doo brown.. (the color I thought I got was not as nice dry as it was wet) [​IMG]

7. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

I can vouch for the excellent job that Jeff did with the cherry vinyl application on his speakers. I've been to his house a couple of times and admired them in person. You'd think they were real wood before you touch them. Very nice indeed!

8. Joe Hsu

Joe Hsu Supporting Actor

Alrighty, home again, so if you want to see a few pictures (unfortunately the former ones, which were better, can't be found right now), just go to my gallery here

9. Richard Little

Richard Little Stunt Coordinator

Very nice, I may have to redo my black ash klipsch floor standings, center chanel AND the new dual AV15 sub.

10. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

I was also thinking of redoing my black ash Klipsch Legends with the PE cherry vinyl. BTW, I also have dual AV15's[​IMG].

11. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys! Very nice work! That's what I was looking for. It looks like the vinyl will work out alright.

Thanks!
    Troy

12. Eric Eash

Eric Eash Second Unit

And I just ordered a roll for my soon-to-be-finished-if-the-AV15s-Richard-Little-sent-me-would-ever-arrive dual AV15 as well. I just hope mine looks the best. Haha. But seriously, I need my speakers!! ARGHH!!

eric

13. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Guys, a tip: be sure your cabinets are smooth, with no dents, chips, etc and that panel edge joints are even. The vinyl is much thinner than veneer and will telegraph dings and uneven surfaces much greater than veneer.

14. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Here's a question about the flexi rack I hope to build soon.

Should I apply the vinyl before or after I drill the holes for the threaded rod?

15. DaveKahler

DaveKahler Stunt Coordinator

I think I would apply it after to minimize the chance of the drill bit sucking up a piece of the vinyl