PICS of my other AV1+ build in progress

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Darren_T, Oct 27, 2002.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Here are some of the pics, crossovers also. Just thought some of ya might get some useful insight if you were considering your first build.
    Back Pannels
    Baffles
    Baffles close up
    Braces
    Partial Assembly (this is where a brad nailer is handy until clamped)
    Anoter View of Partial Assembly
    Whatdayathink...one more clamp?
    Crossovers
    Crossover Close up
    I tell ya, 5 AV1+'s as a home theater with my Tempest is INCREDIBLE!!!!!! I never imagined that a perfectly matched set of speakers could improve my HT experience soooo much. The sound field is so much more unified. It's just unreal.
    Darren

2. David W Collier

Darren, I am building three A/V-1+ speakers now. It sounds like you are very happy with these speakers!
    How did you secure the crossovers to the plastic perforated plastic?
    Did you just screw the plastic to the MDF? Will vibration be a problem? Did you place the tweeter crossover on the tweeter side of the baffle? Where did you put the woofer crossover? Any photos of the crossover locations?

Thanks for any tips you could pass on. These are the first speakers I have built.

3. Shawn Solar

Shawn Solar Supporting Actor

Do the inductors have to be placed on there sides like that? I layed mine down on the flat surface. I am still behind you though. I just got my wood cut now. And the crossovers assembled and all the wires soldered. I used disconnects on the crossovers though just in case I want to take things apart.

You got any plans for stands? I am just bulding two for now and if I like them(sure I will) I am going to sell my paradigms and build the rest.

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

They don't have to be tiped up like that but you should place them at 90 degree's to one another so at least one should be tipped so they are crossed up when mounted. I mounted them to the braces, one on the top brace and one on the bottom brace leaving the inside of both braces open for the port. The components just have the wires poked through the breadboard and are soldered together underneath. The inductors are wire tied to the board. I have no photos of them in place but I can describe it better if you like.

I don't have plans for speaker stands, just built my own to match my entertainment center. I can post pics later of that though.

5. Shawn Solar

Thats pretty much what I did. Got them DIY circut boards and soldered everything underneath. I was able to get rather large boards so everything is pretty well spaced and the tweeter and woofer crossovers seperated. I am going to build my stands. I got a lot of wood and some 6" pvc pipe left over from my sub. With a little imagination I think I can come up with something[​IMG] Is it hard to make the tweeter recesses? I am defaintly going to practice a little before I try on my final piece.

6. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Definately practice the tweeter recesses, and remember, the foam will squish almost to nothing at all so plan on making the recess about the same depth as the plastic alone. Don't cut the recess until after you have veneered either. First cut the main hole, veneer the enclosure, then cut the recess with a 1/2" rabbet bit, then drill the two 1/2" holes with a forstner bit...in that order.

Let me know if you need more detail or pics... Feel free to send me an email, a little planning will save you a bunch of rework!!!

Darren

7. Shawn Solar

Thanks Darren,

If I need any help I'll shoot ya an email. It doesn't sound too difficult more or less just getting the bit to the right depth seems like more trial and error. Do you need to compensate for the thickness of the veneer or if I set the depth to the tweeter thickness it should come out to flush once the rubber ring is in place?

8. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

Wow, I'm impressed with the build and crossover especially Mr. perfectionist,
    Sure, you can make the crossovers all neat like that, but I decided to go the fast route and just glue the big and small inductor to the board with a hot glue gun.
    The rest of the components are bundled with electric tape and the tape is wrapped around a center brace.
    After that I went happy with some silicone glue and sealed any connections that I couldn't use heatshrink.
    It may look like junk but nobody's gonna look in there and they sound excellent. [​IMG] (Just some advice to the newbies that they don't have to look good to sound good.)
    btw, if you follow the instructions for the countersunk tweeter holes it will work out in the end. The foam gasket gets easily compressed so don't even factor that in.