What's new

Pics of my new Tempest sub (1 Viewer)

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
Hi all,

I haven't posted much on here but have been an avid reader of all your posts, particularly those relating to my subwoofer project. Thank you all for being so forthcoming in your answers. Well I'm happy to say I'm done! I'm pretty damned please right now too I must say! :)

There is a build diary on the net here if anyone's interested.

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
heheh.... yes it's got a high SAF... which is why I spent so much time on the finish.

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
that awesome!, any detail in performance w/ regards to music and movie.(fired it up!!!):)

RodN

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah what can I say, I can actually FEEL the bass. Deep, rich, smooth, fast bass. Awesome. It's still brand new so I haven't tuned it in with my BFD yet but playing all the usuals: nemo, LOTR, the pod race, master and commander, etc. It's just excellent. Audio wise it's really defined as well, particularly with double bass, drums, and orchestral stuff where there's lots of detailed bass. I'm really glad I went with a sealed unit.

Curt Badry

Stunt Coordinator
Rod,
Very nice, i love the design. Looks like you spent alot of time on the finishing details, it payed off, looks amazing!!!!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I think under the history of furniture.. under the year 2000-2004 you'll see a trend in cylinder based end tables due to DIY subwoofers.

Maybe in the future you'll see a lot of cylinder shaped furniture in houses, and have to tell people that the it's all because of the primitive solution of needing separate subwoofers to produce bass.

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks people! It really was fun to build - and yes, they do bridge the gap between furniture and musical devices, don't all good speakers do that? (B&W nautilus come to mind)...

Frank A

Stunt Coordinator
bernard, I think, according to his "build diary site", he used an "AVA250" plate amplifier.

RodN

Stunt Coordinator
That's cool, yeah it's an AVA 250 from Adire Audio, nice amp. I particularly liked the crossover bypass switch, the lack of any sort of boosting in the frequency range and the phase dial (rather than a switch). Many of the more budget amps don't offer these things.

bernard&*

Stunt Coordinator
guys, is 250w plate amp from PE is enough to drive 230l sealed enclosure? How musical is a sealed tempest sub in all type of music.(but most specially to jazz).need your input pls.

Aaron Gilbert

Second Unit
Rod,

That's one beautiful sub, and very nice pages with photos and write-up. It's nice to see I'm not the only one using pine rounds as end caps. :) (though mine are on my satellites, not subwoofer) It truly has a look to it and beautiful finishing, would be welcome in my room at any time!

Aaron Gilbert

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks