Pics of my new Flexy TV Stand

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan Schnacke, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Ryan Schnacke

Ryan Schnacke Supporting Actor

http://photos.yahoo.com/bc/ryan_schn...dir=/My+Photos
    I gave up looking for a reasonably priced rack/entertainment center that fits my needs and built this myself for $120 - $150. I may eventually replace it or improve upon it, but I think I'll be happy with it for a while.
    Its a double-wide component rack and TV stand, 3/4 inch birch plywood with birch veneer on the edges, stained a little lighter than I had planned. 5/8 inch all-threads and heavy duty 125lb swivel castors. I borrowed a drill press and sanded by hand. Ugh. Next time I'll just buy a sander. I'm not sure why, but the Minwax pre-stain conditioner actually made the finish blotchier than going without. Good thing I tried it out first on the scrap wood.
    No, my sub is not in the best spot, but it works for now and I may rearrange later. Its a challenging room for a home theater and everything has to meet the SAF approval.

2. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Looks good. The birch plywoood seemed to work out well for you. [​IMG]
    Jon

3. Bill_D

Bill_D Supporting Actor

[​IMG] Looks good! Don't sweat the tonal differences on the material. Unless you point it out, only you will notice.

4. Ryan Schnacke

Thanks Jon. Veneering the edges really helped the appearance.

Good point, Bill.

5. Philip Hamm

Philip Hamm Lead Actor

That looks very nice thanks for sharing. Definitely a big improvement over the stand it replaces! Though the difficulties of cable management in a Flexy system are apparent..... [​IMG]

6. David A. Frattaroli

David A. Frattaroli Stunt Coordinator

Very nice job.

7. Ryan Schnacke

Thanks all. It was a very simple project. I recommend any flexy-rack project for other beginner DIYers like me.

8. William H

William H Auditioning

Hi,

That's a really neat looking stand. I was thinking about doing one of those but don't know if it would hold up against a 32" Wega. How much does your Tv weight? Again, awesome stand.

Regards,

WH

9. Ryan Schnacke

The TV shown in the picture is a 32 inch JVC. Its about 3 years old and its the low-end model. According to dealtime.com a new low-end 32 inch JVC weighs 114 pounds. Mine might be a tad lighter.

As far as weight goes you really only need to worry about the wood. The casters I picked can handle 125 pounds each and the all-thread rods can take more than that. Just try to keep the supports underneath the loads - the rods down the middle really help support the TV and the casters are mounted as close as possible to the rods (but make sure the rod and nut won't interfere with the swivel action of the caster). You could always use thicker wood if you're really worried.

FYI I went with a 20 inch deep by 42 inch wide shelf. Rods are 1 inch away from the edges of the shelves (center point is about 1 1/4 inch from edges). This left 19 inch wide openings for the components which are about 17 inches wide. The 20 inch depth accomodates the TV and the 200 disc CD changer.

Home Depot has all-thread pre-cut to 2 feet and 3 feet lengths. Lowes has it pre-cut to 1 foot, 3 feet and 6 feet lengths.

10. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Nice rack [​IMG] Some black 1-2" split loom will clean up the wires nicely....

11. Ed_A

Ed_A Stunt Coordinator

Mike,

what's split loom and where would one get it? I've been thinking about putting together a flexy rack soon but still haven't figured out how to handle the "spaghetti" look of wires that you could see from the front.

Thanks,

Ed

12. Brett_H

Brett_H Second Unit

Ryan,

Nice work! I had told my fiancee I wanted to build one of these as my first project when we move in together in the spring, but she had always pictured them as looking "too modern". This one convinced here otherwise, she really like the look of your rack (said without the slightest hint of irony).

-Brett.

13. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Radio Shack, Home Depot, Best Buy, Menards, etc... carry it. It's black plastic tubing 1/2-1" diameter, cut open the entire length. Comes in various lengths.

Go to Radio Shack.com and search for "Split Loom Tube 3'X1" Black" I couldn't figure out how to put up a picture...Mike

14. Ryan Schnacke

Brett,

Thanks. I think keeping the natural wood color is what makes it more traditional. When you paint them black you'll likely get the modern look.