What's new

Pics of my new DIY speakers (1 Viewer)

Mike Keith

Second Unit
In case anyone here is interested I thought I'd post a pic of my new (SST8) final prototype speakers.
MTM with fully adjustable mid/woofer cabinets and a telescoping tweeter for fine tuning the time alignment. the details are as follows
Mid/woofers (2 per side) Scan-Speak 8530-K00, with 2X15 flared ports out the back. Cabinets are tiltable +/- 7 degrees with dual wall construction and a tar slurry between walls, overall thickness is min 1.75" and baffles over 2" thick total weight of each cabinet is aprox 45Lbs.
Tweeters are the Vifa XT25 dual concentric tweeter in a PVC enclosure fitted over a sliding PVC tube filled with "Great Stuff" expanding foam, which allows up to 1.25" travel in or out.
All drivers are at this time Actively crossed at 3.2K via Marchand XM-9-3KK 24db L-R, but I'm experimenting with a Passive L-R network for the tweeter to tame the resonate peak per the suggestion of Peter at AV Reality and am told it will make a huge difference. the final version will have solid oak stands with some bracing and the tweeter mount will be solid oak, and of corse some paint for the enclosures, Pic on link below
http://64.33.91.28/kingdaddysst8/Web...totype_009.jpg
More pics at my geo cities web page, but you may have trouble as it is bandwidth limited.
http://www.geocities.com/kingdaddyke...?1011198404840

Hank Frankenberg

Senior HTF Member
Wild! I sure like the non-box enclosure approach and the constrained layer sandwich (MDF - correct?). I've only seen one D-I-Y using ScanSpeaks - it's nice to see you're using them - did you experiment with less expensive drivers or is this your all-out effort? How did you get the radius for the tweeter tube into the cabinets - a large diameter drum sander? Those are going to have a very unique look when finished, and I would imagine they'll sound great. Very nice work :)

PeteG

Agent
Mike, They look awesome, from the pics the construction

doesn't look like it was easy. They remind me of my

ref Gallos.

I been thinking of putting the Vifa XT tweeter in a

small 2-way, how's the sound.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
DAMN
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

That is some increadibly impressive work :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
Those are awesome Mike! I wish I could make things look that good! :frowning: Hopefully they sound as impressive as they look!

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
I can't imagine having those in my theater. My eyes would be constantly drawn to those so as to distract from the video material. These would definately scare the animals (kids included) in my home, especially when sounds came out of them:alien:
Yeah, I know my tastes are conventional.

Mike Keith

Second Unit
Kevin, it's funny you should mention this as I had immediate reaction from my Cat and Dog. The moment the first sound came out of these, the cat just look at it funny and left the room, but the dog actually tried to attack the speaker and totally freaked out I've never seen that dog act that way.

BTW to the other poster that enquired about the XT Tweeter sound my reply would be that I'm very pleased and the detail and subtle nature is very easy on the ears without any harshness, but I do believe that I can go lower on the XO point and with the addition of a .01 mh inductor in parallel and a series 4 Ohm resistor they should be even better, also the whole vocal region is so intelligible and clean that I feel all my 350+ hours of work is justified, now all I need is a couple of sono tube sub's to match, although I am very supprised at the amount of quality low bass that these little 5" woofers can put out.

Thanks to every one on the compliments.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
Those look great. Once I get into this new house building some DIY speakers is on my rather legnthy list of things to do but those are beyond anything that ive even imagined. Looks like I need to hang with you........

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks