Pics of my HT in an apartment, on a budget. :)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Harbaugh, Dec 17, 2001.

1. Jason Harbaugh

Jason Harbaugh Cinematographer

My first theatre.
    I constructed this over the past few months in my apartment. I have an LT150 and limited wall space so I did what any HT nut would do. I covered the windows. [​IMG] It can be moved of course.
    The screen is a DIY made from blackout cloth. I built a custom wall mount for the projector and it even gives the LT150 14" of zoom capability.
    Total cost of projector, screen, and HTPC would be about $3k. I really didn't invest in high quality speakers yet because I can't turn it up too loud. Neighbors below.
    Please let me know what you think.

2. JimHal

JimHal Stunt Coordinator

I'm envious, nice setup. Great job on the web page too.

3. Jeffrey Noel

Jeffrey Noel Screenwriter

Very nice! I'm very envious!
    Now, all you need are some better speakers and you could start charging admission! [​IMG]

4. Jon_B

Jon_B Screenwriter

Nice screen. Gave me some good ideas. Thanks for sharing. [​IMG]
    Jon

5. Carl Johnson

Carl Johnson Cinematographer

Carl III
    It looks great, once I get my new place I want to do something similar to that. Is there a TV tuner in the htpc or is the setup just for DVDs and games?

6. Wes

Wes Screenwriter

Wes Peterson
    I love your site! Tell me, I have a Pioneer VSX-d709s and was wondering what the difference is compaired to the 850. I see it has 6x110w and 6.1 inputs. But I am assuming it does not do EX or ES decoding. I have seen they call it DTS ES campatible. Do you have a EX decoding? With my 709 I have the surround L/R preamp outs fed into a DPL for ES/EX matrix decoding and I love it but I would like to have a real ES/EX reciever.

Wes

7. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Looks good. I especially like the HT site and the way you have it organized.

8. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

That NEC LT150 looks like a nice compact projector (2.1 x 9.4 x 7.7). How do you like it? I have been shopping around for a small projector for my limited headroom HT.

9. Jason Harbaugh

Thanks for all of the nice comments everyone. It really has been a labor of love. [​IMG]
    Jeffrey,
    Yeah, now if I could get the neighbors below me to stop complaining now I would love to upgrade those speakers. [​IMG] I guess I need to bribe them by inviting them up for a few viewings every once in a while. Actually I have been really impressed with the Mission center channel. If I do upgrade before I get a house or a place with solid walls, I might consider getting some Mission full tower for the fronts. Anyone else use Mission or have experience with them?
    Carl,
    Yes I do have the I/O magic PVR card that I run with Dscaler. I don't really watch tv on it that much though. Darn those replacement lamp prices. It does look pretty good when I do.
    Wes,
    I love this receiver. It does do DTS-ES but no DD EX. I use my old front center speaker as the back center now (matches the rear surrounds anyway) and it sounds great. Just watched Planet of the Apes last night which has a very active DTS 6.1 soundtrack. I do wish it did EX though but I'm complaining. I got it new off of Ubid for $380 shipped(after the 3rd try).
    Dave,
    I was shopping for a projector for quite a while and didn't think I would find one that performed the way I wanted and was cheap. After the praise of the LT150 from the avsforum guys I got one from the Dell deal and I couldn't be happier. I don't suffer from rainbows so that wasn't a problem. It is for others though. My mom can see them, but more so on her boyfriends setup (he got the lt150 after seeing mine but it is run from a non-progressive dvd player on a store bought 1.5gain screen). It is a little loud when you ceiling mount it but not as bad as some I've seen, or heard for that matter. Can't beat that size though. And NEC's instacare warranty is top notch. The fan broke after a few weeks and they had a new one at my door in 48 hours.

10. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Jason-

Looks great. If you haven't stuffed your KLH sub, I'd try that right away. I had the exact same model and filled it with polyfill; it makes a tremendous difference. I've since bought an SVS, but I still have the KLH and I put a nice JBL driver in it. Awesome bang for the buck.

11. Jens Raethel

Jens Raethel Second Unit

Jens
    Nice Job!
    Not to mention the Website! WOW!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Jason Harbaugh

Matt,
    Where do I get polyfill? I haven't stuffed my sub and that sounds like a good idea. I got it for $99 at Costco just to tide myself over since I had a small space to fill and neighbors. I was pleasantly surprised at how good it actually sounded and when matched with bass shakers it actually does quite well.
    Jens,
    Thanks. I think it was your website that actually first got me thinking of building a home theatre in my apartment. I just signed your guestbook as well. I'm number 200. [​IMG]

13. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Jason,

I'm thinking getting the same pioneer receiver but after you mentioned it cannot do dd ex but only dts es, I'm having second thoughts. So, when you play Star Wars TPM, the back channel doesn't even come on? I thought the Surround Back channel would kick in based on what I read on the online manual.

14. Jason Harbaugh

No the back center channel doesn't kick in for TPM, at least not that I could tell. I don't recall any info in the manual about EX support. I haven't played with that particular aspect that much though so maybe I should take a closer look.

Still, for the money it is an awesome receiver and I have no regrets.

I'll test out some DD EX discs though and see what I come up with.

15. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Thanks. I'll check back for your test results!

16. Matt Stryker

Matt Stryker Screenwriter

Polyfill is easily found at WalMart, usually in the sewing/pillows area. If not, try a local fabric/sewing shop. Here's a picture (taken from Patrick Sun's subwoofer page): [​IMG]
    On the 120, just remove the front screws that hold the driver in place and fill the inside; try to make sure there is somewhat of a channel for air to move to the port though. You should notice a difference in really low scenes; after stuffing it sounds very tight, especially for music.

17. Jason Harbaugh

Len,
    Definately no DD EX support. I tried out Cast Away and went to the plane crash. Very active rear center channel in DTS ES but when I switched to DD it was silent as a mouse.
    It still is a great receiver in my mind and the DTS ES was just icing on the cake for me. But if you are looking for a receiver with both, guess you better keep looking. I think for Pioneer the EX support starts with the Elite series.
    Matt,
    Thanks for the info and picture. I'll go pick some of that stuff up tomorrow. Always love finding new ways to tweak my equipment. [​IMG]

18. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

Jason, some interesting findings I want you to know of regarding your receiver.

I was able to try it out and was watching Gladiator. Specifically, the scene where they try to execute him. The part where the sword is supposed to come from back to front works in DTS-ES mode. It also works if you switch to DD but switch from Standard to 6-Channel theater mode. This is done by pressing the dd/dts button. Since this movie is EX encoded, I assume the receiver is decoding the information properly. The sword sound is identical to the DTS-ES version.

I'm going to check other movies. I don't have Cast Away but you can try what I did above.

19. Jason Harbaugh

Oh cool Len. I'll give that a shot and see if it works for other EX encoded movies. It does seem silly that it would do ES but not EX.

20. Len Cheong

Len Cheong Second Unit

SW TPM works in all the areas it's supposed to work. This should get you to watch it again, Jason.