Pics of my finished DIY Sub

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Mark Fitzsimmons, Oct 4, 2002.

1. Mark Fitzsimmons

Mark Fitzsimmons Supporting Actor

Its a 122L sealed tempest. I pretty much followed Adire's plans directly for this alignment; the only modifications I made were to account for the amp mounting, and I also flushmounted the driver. It provides a pretty sleak look.
    http://www.markfitzsimmons.com/sub/dscf0055.jpg
    http://www.markfitzsimmons.com/sub/dscf0056.jpg
    http://www.markfitzsimmons.com/sub/responce.jpg
    I've very pleased with the end result. The total cost of all materils was right below $330. And as you can tell by the above graph, its responce in room is flat down to about 21hz, pretty impressive for a sealed sub. The sound quality for both music and movies is the best I've heard.
    The carpeted finish is pretty attractive, I chose this because its alot more conveinant than painting MDF and alot cheaper/easier than a veneer. I'm pleased with the result, albeit it being too large to put in a dorm room (currently senior in high school) I'll probably end up making a sealed Shiva or Dayton for my college dorm.
    Enjoy!

2. Casey H

Casey H Stunt Coordinator

Mark,

Very nice! any other DIY plans in the near future?

Casey

3. Mark Fitzsimmons

Nothing is in plan right now when it comes to DIY.

The next HT toy is going to be a front projector. I have a 36" Vega right now.

I have JBL studio series mains/center before too long I'll be getting another pair of S26 for surround duty.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph

5. Mark Fitzsimmons

Right now I'm looking at a Panny AE100 on an 82-92" 16:9 screen.

My budget is pretty limited.

6. Dan Hine

Dan Hine Screenwriter

On topic: Nice job with the Tempest! I dig it.

Off topic: I'm assuming you were going to get the AE100 from Price Japan. Unfortunately they have stopped selling the AE100 and now have the 200 and 300 so you'll likely have to go used. Personally, with the problems that some people have had with the AE100, I wouldn't buy one where warranty issues might be an issue.

The AE200 just got in stock and the 300 is expected shortly so they will probably come down a little bit from where they are at now ($1500 and $2000). At those prices I would suggest also looking at Sanyo's LP-Z1. It looks to be right up there with the AE300 for a few hundred bucks less.