What's new

Pics of my completed sub, shiva, ported box (1 Viewer)

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
well, I am finally done, over a month of contructing because of finding time to work on it. I am very pleased how it turned out, sounds amazing, just need to run a few tests on it.
A few questions, is there anyway and can actually test the sub to see what its actually tuned to?
Here is the link to the previous thread about my sub:
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=107660
Completed (the edges of the sub dont really look like that in person, must just be the picture, the laminate is a very flush fit cut with a router and a flush trim bit.....(cut my fingers about 10 times on the edges before I filed them a little, they are razor sharp after cutting it.) Oh, and there are spiked on the bottom, dayton audio spikes...i like them:)

here are links of the building process:
Here is a shot of the dowel job Im doing on the joints (1/4" dowels)
Here is a shot of that same joint Butted together, nice flush fit
Here is a shot of the inner brace put together, (not glued yet, will glue after all dowel holes are drilled)
Here is a close up of the dowel proccess
Here is a shot right before I did my first gluing, all dowels holes cut
Heres a shot of it clamped
Picture 1
Picture 2
Picture 3
Picture 4
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/113...3514853_vl.jpg
http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/113...7244447_vl.jpg
Hope you guys like...I know I do :) any feedback or questions would be appreciated. Next task it to heav those BOSE speakers in the dumpster and build some 281's :)
Im building a cloth speaker grill to go over the entire front as I write this, should be done in a few days and should make it look alot nicer

Nathan_M

Grip
Looks great! How easy was it working with dowels? I'd like to try that on my next box. Did you buy a special kit for your router?

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
the dowels were supprisingly easy, they sell expensive dowel jigs out there but all I used were these two little spikes that came in a $5 kit from Home depot Pictured HERE. For my router all I bought was a circle jig, double fluted laminate flush trim bit and a straight cut bit. I like the dowels alot, it makes a very snug/secure fit. All i did was drill all the holes in the 3/4" side of the MDF that neated to be butted with the flat section, pop in those metal spikes, line up the wood and tap it with a rubber mallet to make the other piece, then drill where the marks were that I just made and continue on, I didnt have a bad dowekl in there, all lined up perfectly. Hope this helps

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Thats a monster! What size enclosure is that?
Looks like 1" MDF... am I right?
P.S. Looks like you've found a good use for those Bose speakers... as a plant stand! :) just kidding.

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
actually its 3/4" MDF, the front baffle is 1.5" Thick (Laminated (2) 3/4" pieces together, ~22.5" cubed, 142.5L...the thing weighs a ton, I wouldnt want to be under one of those spikes :)
Its very solid though, no rattleing...except the walls ;)

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
anyon know where or if I can get a little "Adire/Shiva" Eblem that I can put on the cloth speaker grill when its done? Thanks!

Allen Ross

Supporting Actor
hey i see you smoked some of the cuts, when i counter sunk all of my screws with a varible width bit, it burnt quite a bit of MDF and i could help but notice that the MDF smells erally funny when it burns or smolders, i half to say almost like burrning sugar, kinda.

BTW very nice. instead of dowles i used biscuts, and man let me tell you that is saved a ton of time and was ver easy to line every thing up.

BTW whered you snag that vaneer? is it glosy balck or flat bkack ?

Jon_H

Stunt Coordinator
I got the venner at home depot, 24"X48" sheets for $10 a pop, 3 of em total, its flat black and real heavy duty, couldnt be happier with it. the cement and J-Roller were all in the same little section, so it made that trip very easy, swung by the tool section and picked up a laminate bit for my router and I was on my way!:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks