Pics of my completed sub, shiva, ported box

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jon_H, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Jon_H

Jon_H Stunt Coordinator

well, I am finally done, over a month of contructing because of finding time to work on it. I am very pleased how it turned out, sounds amazing, just need to run a few tests on it.
    A few questions, is there anyway and can actually test the sub to see what its actually tuned to?
    Here is the link to the previous thread about my sub:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=107660
    Completed (the edges of the sub dont really look like that in person, must just be the picture, the laminate is a very flush fit cut with a router and a flush trim bit.....(cut my fingers about 10 times on the edges before I filed them a little, they are razor sharp after cutting it.) Oh, and there are spiked on the bottom, dayton audio spikes...i like them[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    here are links of the building process:
    Here is a shot of the dowel job Im doing on the joints (1/4" dowels)
    Here is a shot of that same joint Butted together, nice flush fit
    Here is a shot of the inner brace put together, (not glued yet, will glue after all dowel holes are drilled)
    Here is a close up of the dowel proccess
    Here is a shot right before I did my first gluing, all dowels holes cut
    Heres a shot of it clamped
    Picture 1
    Picture 2
    Picture 3
    Picture 4
    http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/113...3514853_vl.jpg
    http://www.digitalpose.com/mbr/1/113...7244447_vl.jpg
    Hope you guys like...I know I do [​IMG] any feedback or questions would be appreciated. Next task it to heav those BOSE speakers in the dumpster and build some 281's [​IMG]
    Im building a cloth speaker grill to go over the entire front as I write this, should be done in a few days and should make it look alot nicer

2. Nathan_M

Nathan_M Extra

Looks great! How easy was it working with dowels? I'd like to try that on my next box. Did you buy a special kit for your router?

3. Jon_H

Jon_H Stunt Coordinator

the dowels were supprisingly easy, they sell expensive dowel jigs out there but all I used were these two little spikes that came in a $5 kit from Home depot Pictured HERE. For my router all I bought was a circle jig, double fluted laminate flush trim bit and a straight cut bit. I like the dowels alot, it makes a very snug/secure fit. All i did was drill all the holes in the 3/4" side of the MDF that neated to be butted with the flat section, pop in those metal spikes, line up the wood and tap it with a rubber mallet to make the other piece, then drill where the marks were that I just made and continue on, I didnt have a bad dowekl in there, all lined up perfectly. Hope this helps

4. Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman Producer

Thats a monster! What size enclosure is that?
    Looks like 1" MDF... am I right?
    P.S. Looks like you've found a good use for those Bose speakers... as a plant stand! [​IMG] just kidding.

5. Jon_H

Jon_H Stunt Coordinator

actually its 3/4" MDF, the front baffle is 1.5" Thick (Laminated (2) 3/4" pieces together, ~22.5" cubed, 142.5L...the thing weighs a ton, I wouldnt want to be under one of those spikes [​IMG]
    Its very solid though, no rattleing...except the walls [​IMG]

6. Jon_H

Jon_H Stunt Coordinator

anyon know where or if I can get a little "Adire/Shiva" Eblem that I can put on the cloth speaker grill when its done? Thanks!

7. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

hey i see you smoked some of the cuts, when i counter sunk all of my screws with a varible width bit, it burnt quite a bit of MDF and i could help but notice that the MDF smells erally funny when it burns or smolders, i half to say almost like burrning sugar, kinda.

BTW very nice. instead of dowles i used biscuts, and man let me tell you that is saved a ton of time and was ver easy to line every thing up.

BTW whered you snag that vaneer? is it glosy balck or flat bkack ?

8. Jon_H

Jon_H Stunt Coordinator

I got the venner at home depot, 24"X48" sheets for $10 a pop, 3 of em total, its flat black and real heavy duty, couldnt be happier with it. the cement and J-Roller were all in the same little section, so it made that trip very easy, swung by the tool section and picked up a laminate bit for my router and I was on my way![​IMG]