What's new

Pics of my 1803! (1 Viewer)

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Well, I haven't built the box yet, but I received my first digital camera today so I thought I'd share a few pictures of the 1803.
This first one is the driver in the box:
Link Removed
This next one is the 1803 sitting next to my 70lb. "woofer" for reference:
Link Removed
This is the side of the basket:
Link Removed
Here's the big-ass magnet:
Link Removed
Pics don't seem to bad for a $250 camera!
Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Thanks guys!
Dave,
The camera is the FujiFilm FinePix 2600Z. I bought it at Link Removed for $235 + shipping. I also bought a 32MB SmartCard and a AC adaptor (which does not fit!). The total with shipping was $350. There's also a coupon to send back to Fuji to receive a $35 rebate (if you buy the camera with an additional SmartCard).
Apparently the price has gone up to $258 now. Not sure why.
Here's a link to the page with the camera:
Link Removed
I bought the camera strictly for taking pictures for a web based business I'm starting. Apparently a 2 megapixel camera is fine as I think the pictures look great.
Brian

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
That chunk of chip board in the first picture, was it part of the shipping container?

JimHal

Stunt Coordinator
Wow, that's pretty cool. Is this specific to this brand, or are most shipped in a manner like this?

I haven't had the pleasure of recieving a driver yet, although one is on the way and it's getting hard to be patient.

James Slade

Second Unit
So what exactly are you going to build for a box for that beast?

It should be fun, I would love to build it! Maybe in a few months

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
James,

Well, mine's going to be around 4ft^3 or so with the driver downfiring. I'm looking at doubled up 3/4" MDF with a couple of crossbraces. I'll either use a Linkwitz Transform circuit or just add low end boost with my new BFD that will also be used to tame any peaks. I'm looking at throwing a couple of kilowatts at this thing in the form of a Crown K2 (that's the last piece of the puzzle)! This will also double as an endtable.

Jim,

No, this is NOT the norm for shipping subwoofers!

Brian

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I really have got to take some time to come over and see (and hear) your various subs, Pat! Are you off any time during the holidays that might be convenient?

Brian

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
They did do a very good, yet efficient, job on the packing of these giants. Mine had some slight scratching on the bottom of the magnet from a screw, but otherwise was perfect. This HTGuide thread shows the packing on JonMarsh's 1203.

James Slade

Second Unit
Brian,

I was reading about this driver at the website, and am thinking about purchasing it myself. What do you plan to do in terms of passive radiators and/or ports?

They make some interesting comments on the website about suggested applications

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
James, Brian's going sealed/eq'd with his, possibly the Linkwitz trasnform he mentioned.

I've looked into PR's for mine, but I can't find anything that an 1803 won't bring to its knees using less than four of them. A 10" wide port is probably the way I'll go, 14ft^3 tuned to 18Hz. Sometime in the new year.

Which applications do you mean?

ThomasW

Senior HTF Member
Jack

He's talking about the 'home' and 'car' applications posted on the BluePrint site beside the driver specs.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Thomas. I did go back to the site to check for an "Apps" page, but I'm on my brother's dial-up connection today and got frustrated before I got very far. :)
Regarding the 1803:
Ported enclosures: Like all of the 03 series drivers, it is difficult to fit a large enough port into the enclosures to keep the air speed low. We have had excellent results using the 1803 in 283 liters (10 cuft) tuned to 18 Hz with a 8" diamter X 36" long port. With 1000 watts to the sub, the output was downright scary. Using passive radiators (2 or more 18" PRs) you can achieve incredible results in relatively small enclosures.
"2 or more" is right, I'd say 3 of the Stryke 18's might just get you enough Vd, this driver is a brute. Pat mentioned a while ago some of their own PR's, but that they were a long way off.
And an 8" port would be minimum if you're going ported, anything else is a waste of the driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks