Pics of Birdseye Maple 1801's I just finished

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Darren_T, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

I just finished building these for Doug Ngai. Thought I'd post pics of how they turned out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Really really really nice. Did I say really enough?

3. Mike Nep

Mike Nep Stunt Coordinator

Birdseye Maple always looks awesome and you've certainly proved that to the utmost. What did you use to cut your tweeter hole as well as your woofer hole? Beautiful job, Darren. I strive to reach your level of craftsmanship!

4. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

5. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

Those speakers look schweet

6. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Very good work as usual Darren. I assume thats solid birdseye on the front baffle as called for by the 1801 plans? Mind sharing how much those 2 pieces of wood cost? [​IMG]

7. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

First off, great work as usual Darren!

To add to Kyle's question, how exactly do you attach solid wood to MDF enclosures? Do you simply use wood glue or some other method? I've glued solid wood sides on with wood glue before but never tried a baffle.

8. Wayne Ernst

9. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Wayne,

You lost me on the plywood thing. I mentioned solid wood and MDF. I've done plenty of veneering but am wanting to broaden my horizons with my next project.

10. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

11. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

Here is another 1801 (sort of) if anyone is interested.

Undersized 1801 rosewood

This is a pure MDF carcass with wrap around veneer. I have done the solid lumber over MDF baffel thing a couple times (on other projects) and have some tips.

1) make the lumbar oversize and use flush trim bit.
    2) Let the lumbar sit in your environment for at least one month to get the moisture level stable, then..
    3) run the lumber through a planer to get it as flat as possible.
    4) Veneer the top and sides of the box before bonding the lumbar face.
    5) yellow wood glue works fine. protect your veneered edge from squeeze out with masking tape.
    6) clamp it with a sheet of MDF on top to get flat pressure. Use every clamp you've got.
    7) use a couple of biscuits into the face of the MDF and the back surface of the lumbar to combat slippage when clamping. The lumber wetted with the wood glue really wants to slip. Note- make this these biscuit slots far enough from the edge that the roundover does not expose them !
    8) If despite all of this, the interface between the lumbar and the veneered walls is less than perfect, then use a flush trim bit with a built in small beading groove to make this interface regular. What Darren achieved on his lumber-veneer interface is not easy , and the groove is a good bailout. The roundover is then done as the last step.
    -------------------------------

12. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit

Very nice! I love rosewood.

Just to echo the above comment on solid wood baffle construction... it is very difficult to achieve the seamless (other than color diff) integration of the solid baffle to the veneered sides. The MDF understructure must be very flat and true. If it isn't you will get gaps everywhere. My procedure is very similar to Brian Fellmeth's. I cut the lumber about 1/4" oversized and use a flush trim bit to flush it up. I climb cut with the router to avoid excess pressure on the laminate as the bearing will dent it creating a very unappealing line.

Darren

13. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Well, the joint for the two pieces of wood for the front baffle is seamless. The cost is also less than I figured it would be too!

14. Brian Tatnall

Brian Tatnall Stunt Coordinator

WOW those are beautiful. Nice job.

This is the kind of thing that makes me wonder why I didn't ask someone else to do the job for me.

15. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

I love the birds eye maple and craftsmanship. What did you use for a nice finish like that?

It does appear to have 2 different tones. I guess it's hard to find solid wood that matches a veneer. I remember I once left maple exposed for several months and it ended up turning very dark. It almost looked like Cherry after I put a finish on it.

I was wondering if it would work if you took 2 pieces of solid birds eye maple and glued them to eachother to make the baffle. Like with one piece 1/3 the size of the other for aesthetics. Then maybe you could leave out that black spot in the bottom left corner or it would be even less prone to warping if you used more pieces.

Those seas drivers are very pretty. (They're seas excel right?) I was wondering if there was anything to put on the surrounds to reduce the grey fade. I have some Vifa drivers I'm afraid to put protectant on.

Can you comment at all on the sound of them?

16. Wayne Ernst

17. Darren_T

Darren_T Second Unit