What's new

Picking up an EQ today. Is there a difference between 90 and 95 s/n ratio. (1 Viewer)

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
Picking up this Audio Source from J and R for 119.00 it has the signal to noise ratio rated at 95dbs as oppose to it's smaller counterpart that has a signal to noise ratio of 90dbs for 89.00. I'm using it for my two DIY subs so stereo isn't the big deal, so will the difference of 5 dbs be that noticeable in my current application.

TomCW

Second Unit
Well, 5 dBv is almost a doubling of the noise level, but how much of that noise would be reproduced by a sub's limited frequency response is anyone's guess. For the small price difference, I'd go with the quieter one and then never look back.

Tom

Brian L

Premium
Jerome,

If you are just doing EQ of your subs, have you looked at the Behringer Feedback Destroyer? Thats the cheap EQ of choice among many HTF members.

I have not looked at the specs of the AS units, but I would wager that they are 1/3 octave at best, which is not fine enough to do an effective job with a sub.

And the Behringer is about $100 so you would be in the same ball park.

BGL

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I thought about the Behringer, my problem was locating it locally for immediate hook up. I'll see if J and R has it.

Brian L

Premium

Surely there is a music store in Manhattan that carries Behringer. Perhaps Sam Ash or a Guitar Center type of place.

Most hi-fi oriented shops would probably NOT carrier it.

Good luck.

BGL

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks