Picking up a Anthem AVM-20

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Cald****, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Jason Cald****

Jason Cald**** Stunt Coordinator

I have a seperate thread here also about purchasing it from canada, just had some other questions.

I am brand new to the preamp world, i am going to pick this up based of reviews mostly online, it seems to be a great product.

My SVS sub is also coming soon.

I am going to use it with Polk RT2000's, CS350 Center and the newer version of the ls/fx rears(always forget the model). Is this overkill for this setup? How to the polks rate as speakers? I have had these for awhile now before they ended up in stores like CC and best buy.

I am also going to pick up the MCA(that right?)50 amp.

I wanted to get them from Live Wire this weekend but they only have black in and silver will be about a week wait.

I am going to go over tomorrow to check it out. They could not give me any pricing over the phone, which kind of sucked since i have no idea what its going to cost me. I am hoping under $3600 for both but really am not sure.

How much should i spend on wires to connect the preamp and amp?

Anyother info you think i might need in making the reciever to preamp/pro setup?

Again many thanks for all the helpful people here.

2. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

I would suggest you pick up 5 XLR cables to connect the AVM 20 to the MCA 50. You should be able to get a good price on Ultra Link, a Canadian company. All other connections would be the same as a receiver.

3. Jason Cald****

Do BetterCables make a good set?

I was thinking of ordering a few component cables, 2 toslinks, a digital coax, and 5 xlr cables (thats what i need right?)

How are bettercables for the price?

Thanks

4. Jason Cald****

Went to Live Wire today in canada.

There sale price for a Anthem AVM-20 and MCA-50 was $6600 canadain, and around 4300 US. Plus have to pay around 600 in taxes that i will get back.

4300 is a bit high though isn't it? I was thinking it wsa going to come in around 3600 or so US, anyone else bought these from Canada?

THanks

5. Evan S

Evan S Cinematographer

Jason, did you negotiate?

Retail for the AVM-20 in Canada is about $5000 after the upgrade. I know you can get them for about $3800-4000 with haggling. The MCA-50 is about 30% more retail than the MCA-5, which retailed for about $1800 Canadian a year ago. Figure the retail price for that up north would be about $2200.

Retail for the two pieces should be about $7200 Canadian. Figure if you plan to spend that much coin in one shot, you should be able to get a 20% discount, approximate. That would put you in the $5760 range I would think. $6600 is only about 9% off retail if my assumptions and math are correct.

I got my stuff in Quebec, not Ontario and there were a lot more dealers in my area than maybe in yours, hense the greater discount. Still, if I couldn't get the combo for around $6,200, I'd threaten to walk. I'd shoot for $6,000 and see what they say.

P.S., I second Wayne's suggestion that you go the XLR route for the connection to the amp...doesn't really improve the sound for short runs, but the ease of connecting is well worth it. The XLR connectors are spaced better than the RCA's IMO and I have gone both routes.

6. Jason Cald****

Thanks i will call them today and see what i can do.

7. wayne p

wayne p Stunt Coordinator

Jason, I have read good things about Better Cables but I have no personal experience with them. My point was to get a well built set of XLR's and the best bang for your US dollar while in Canada. IMHO Ultra Link has a very good build quality and represents good value.

8. Miguel Stanic

Miguel Stanic Stunt Coordinator

Jason,

I just bought the MCA50, MCA20 and Anthem AVM20 in Canada where I live.

In case you're interested, I got my Anthem stuff at Natural Sound in London, ON.

Also, I'm using Audioquest Coral XLR cables for my L/C/R and Audioquest Copperhead RCA's for my surrounds. These cables work great.

9. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Jason:

I know a lot of people that have high end systems that use Bettercables for their interconnects. I personally have the Silver Serpent line for my video connection. I rate it as important to my overall system performance as any piece that I own.

Give Brad an email at Bettercables or call him and see if he will give you a deal with all the cables you are wanting to buy. I am sure he will work something out with you. The other great thing about Bettercables is that they offer a money back guarantee if you aren't satisfied with their performance.

Parker