What's new

Picking the winner ... (1 Viewer)

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
As I noted on a post in the A/V section, I am upgrading my entire system. Assuming I buy the Yamaha rx-v1300 as planned, I was wondering whether some here could offer thoughts on the best matching speakers (main, center, rear, sub).

Basically, I have $1500 to $2000 to spend, though I would like to stick to under $1800. I’ve narrowed it down to the following, in descending order. Preferences are 65% music vs 35% movies, mostly classical and jazz.

1)Energy c-5s with accompany Connoisseurs ($1750)
2) Paradigm System Three.2 ($1600)
3) Definitive Technology based on BP6B mains, BP1.2x rears, ProCenter C2 and the ProSub 100T sub ($1700)
4) Dahlquist System 4 ($1300 - $1700)
5)PSB based on Image 5T ($1900)
6) B&W based on the DM602.5 Series 3
7) Axiom system based on M50ti

(I also looked at Aperion, but I want towers for the mains).

I figure I really can’t go wrong buying something from among this bunch in my price range? Or am I wrong? Am I missing anything?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
Those are all excellent choices.

I'd add Rockets or Divas from AV123.com to the list and the Ascend Acoustics stuff.

Sound Clearing House has some nice speakers that will easily fit this price range as well.

JBL Studio series is worth a listen.

I'd drop the Paradigm Performance series option down the list a bit as well.

Also don't limit yourself to a sub from the same manufacture as the other speakers. You don't have to worry about a tonal match with subs. Give SVS, Hsu, Adire, Velodyne etc a look for options with your subwoofer. Much better than what you will be considering from the manufactures in your list.

And with a good sub in the mix I'd seriously reconsider your desire to have towers in the front. Bookshelves in this price range usually offer more bang for the buck and when mated with a good sub at a 90hz crossover point you won't be missing anything.

Finally, if you think you wouldn't mind trying to build the enclosures yourself (assuming you have or have access to the tools needed) there are many kit options in this price range that offer incredible price/performance ratios.

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin, thanks for the tips. The reason I want a tower is because I listen more to music (65%-35%). That will shift some in a few years as the little ones get a bit older. Still, I want to be able to play two channel at times and get the sound I like. I was thinking of moving up to the Energy C-7s (from C-5s), or equivalent, if I can find some money in my Xmas stocking.

I would love to spend double -- and I can afford it -- but the significant other wants to remodel the kichen and baths first (sigh). She appreciates the fine arts, but sees audiophiles and computer gurus as practioners of black magic. Besides, I just spent a tidy sum on new top-line computers, printer, scanner and home-networking stuff. Time is kind of short these days too, so that probably rules out building a kit myself, but I will at least look into it. I can build a pc entirely from scratch, so why not?

Pablo Abularach

Supporting Actor
Jeff,
I think the brands you have selected are very good, but you left JBL out, I think the studio series is very good for the money and the do have towers also. You could choose form the following,
MIANS (Towers)
JBL S412 4-Way Floorstanding Speaker ($370 each) = $740
OR
JBL S312II 3-Way 12" Floorstanding Speaker ($240) = $480
OR
JBL S310II 3-Way 10" Floorstanding Speaker ($190 each) = $380
For surround
JBL S38II 3-Way 8" Bookshelf Speaker = $280
Or
JBL S36II 3-Way, 6" Vertical/Horizontal Bookshelf Speaker = $250
And add for center speaker
JBL S-CENTERII 3-Way, Dual 5 1/4" Center Channel Speaker = $141
And if you can go for an SVS 25-31 PCi or 20-39PCi between $500-550.
So you could have your system between $1711 to $1271 including an SVS wich is a great sub.
I have four S26 an Scenter and an SVS 25-31PCi, for me it is a great set up. With towers could be even better.
Try to audition every system that you have listed, and if you can also the JBLs and SVS.
Hope this helps,
Pablo Abularach

Jason Wilcox

Supporting Actor
the fact that you listen to music more than movies still doesn't completely justify going with towers over bookshelf speakers with a good sub. going with the latter would provide you with lower bass extension and allow you to fine tune the bass to your liking.

Jeff.bart

Stunt Coordinator
Dustin, Pablo and Jason, thanks for the tips. The bookshelf vs tower question is an interesting one and I think I will start another thread on that. I'd like to hear more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks