What's new

Picking the right projector for outdoors -- 16 feet (1 Viewer)

Real Name
John
[COLOR= black]Guys, I am a real newbie at this. I am down to a couple of projectors that I plan on using for a 16 foot screen... outdoors. It will be in a downtown area on a side block -- so not full city lights but there is some. From a previous post, I learned that I need a lot of lumens. I do not really know what "a lot" means... but these are the two I have decided upon (I am going for 1000-1500 in price). One is DLP and one is LCD. In your opinion, which one is better?[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 8350 Projector [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Optoma HD20 Projector [/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]Of course, you might suggest something else -- I really appreciate your input.[/COLOR]

[COLOR= black]My next question is in regards to the suggestion made to me by the company that is selling the screen. I want to make sure I am not missing something. They are selling me the 16 foot and they suggested the Optoma TX615 -- specs below. This one has good lumens but the size below does not reach 16 feet. Surely they know this -- of course I have inquired and am awaiting an answer. But, since I am in a rush, does screen size mean the best screen size but it can go larger? There is not many reviews on this projector -- any opinions on this one?[/COLOR]

Optoma TX615 Projector Specifications

(show metric units)

Product Sheet User's Manual

Street Price (USD) :

$899

MSRP (USD) :

$999

Brightness (Lumens) :

3500 ANSI

Contrast (Full On/Off) :

3000:1

Variable Iris:

No

Audible Noise:

34.0 dB

Eco-Mode:

29.0 dB

Weight:

6.4 lbs

Size (inches) (HxWxD) :

3.8 x 12.8 x 9.2

Std. Lens:

Focus:

Manual

Zoom:

Manual, 1.10:1

Throw Dist (feet) :

8.0 - 18.0

Image Size (inches) :

56.0 - 138.0

Optional Lenses:

No

Digital Zoom:

Digital Keystone:

Vertical

Lens Shift:

No

Warranty:

3 Years

Performance:

H-Sync Range:

15.0 - 91.0kHz

V-Sync Range:

25 - 85Hz

Compatibility:

HDTV:

720p, 1080i, 1080p/60

EDTV/480p:

Yes

SDTV/480i:

Yes

Component Video:

Yes

Video:

Yes

Digital Input:

HDMI

Computers:

Yes

Display:

Type:

0.6" DLP (1)

Color Wheel Segs:

Color Wheel Speed:

Native:

1024x768 Pixels

Maximum:

1600x1200 Pixels

Aspect Ratio:

4:3 (XGA)

Light Source:

Type:

230W P-VIP

Life:

3000 hours

Eco-Mode Life:

4000 hours

Quantity:

Speakers:

5.0W+ 5.0W

Max Power:

328W

Voltage:

100V - 240V

FCC Class:

Special:

RS232 Port
USB Port
Soft Carrying Case
Laser Pointer
Wired Networking

Shipping

LittlemanRob

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
That projector is not nearly enough for outdoor use on such a large screen with ambient light. It will look washed out and dim. You'll need something in the 5000-6000 lumen range at least.

I'd like to know more about what you are planning to show on it and how often. I'm not a home theatre guru but I have been doing AV/Production work for most of my life and for something like this we'd use at least a 6K projector and preferably a 10K.

Real Name
John
I will be showing movies in an old historic downtown. The company selling me the screen says it will work but I am taking note of your advice. They also say the Optoma TH1060 will work which is 3600. Do you not think so?

The lights will not be too bright on the sidestreet but I cannot mess this up.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
In this sort of situation, it's hard to be too bright. I think most of the "projected art" people -- putting images on the sides of buildings sort of thing -- tend to start at about 10-15k-lumens. It really depends on how much light you have in the area; that's the key; that's the killer. I know in my guesstimates, I tend to be on the conservative side, in that while 3k might work, I'd be much more comfortable at 5-6k. But I kind of suspect that if you have any amount of light control, and have a genuine 5k lumens, you'd probably be okay. (This is based off of recollections of a previous installation I used to maintain; scaling it down from what it was, to what you're talking about.. your mileage will vary..)

Leo

LittlemanRob

Auditioning
Real Name
Rob
If you are showing movies and this has to be done right, 3600 lumens will not cut it. I'm guessing this is a job or business type thing?

5-6 K are barely going to be adequate, and that is only if you get something of great quality, like a Christie. I don't think you'll be able to buy that used for $1500.00

How many nights does this have to run? If it is only a few just rent a good projector. Locally I can rent something in the 6K range for about $200.00 a night. If this is important or may lead to future business this may be something to look at.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
This whole thing is just not realistic. Showing movies outside with the street lights, etc? You better give this a trial run well in advance.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks