What's new

Picking between JVC 600BK and Panny RP91 (1 Viewer)

Jerry Dreiss

Stunt Coordinator
I need to replace a VERY old Toshiba SD-3002 (so old it has no DTS supports!).
I want a player that supports zooming for non-anamorphic disks. Sure my set can zoom, but what about subtitles? (I've got a number of HK disks, mostly Jackie Chan stuff.)

Well, both the JVC SA600BK Panny RP-91 do that, and have DVD-Audio. (A nice bonus.) Both are well regarded here and elsewhere. The Panny seems to win in the de-interlacing video department, but is equaled by the JVC in the film department.

So the decision is actually coming down to money. Is the Panny really worth $200 (using Crutchfield as a baseline) more? Nothing I've read seems to indict so. Honestly a $400 DVD player is more then I want to go.

Is my judgment flawed? I welcome comments. Just please don't suggest the RP-82! It didn't scale and I don't have a time machine.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
You do realize that the RP91 doesn't use the same deinterlacer as the other, newer Panny's.

Based on the Secret's Shootout, the RP91 is probably only modestly better than the JVC for deinterlacing. And for film, you can always force the JVC into film mode.

OTOH, some people do point out that the JVC's scaling only works for properly flagged DVDs. For improperly flagged DVDs, you'll need to zoom, which results in some cropping from what I hear.

Personally, I've been on the fence for the Philips 963sa. It has the hardware for good scaling AND deinterlacing, BUT the scaling seems to need a firmware fix or something for what we want. Of course, the Philips is in the same price range as the RP91 w/ SACD instead of DVD-A. And oh, it only comes in silver, if that matters to you.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks