picking a projector

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Monte J, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Monte J

Monte J Auditioning

Hi guys, I am new to this so please bear with me.

I have recently been looking into getting a projector and I think I have it narrowed down to 2. The 2 that I am refering to are the Epson PowerLite Home10 and the InFocus ScreenPlay 4800. These appear to be decent projectors, in my price range and also are carried by my local dealer. The room they will be used in is 22'L*11'W*7'H, with a drop ceiling. There are two windows in the room but both will be blacked out when I install the projector as I am told this will give the best results. I would say that I will be using the projector for primarily VideoGames and about 10% DVD and Satellite TV. I was hoping to paint the wall (11'*7') with a white paint to use as a screen. So am I way off base on my selections or should I just get one and be happy. Also what would be the largest I would be able to blow up the picture before I get noticable distortion, blurrs or screen door effect.

Thanks in advance for your replies

Monte

2. Ralph B

Ralph B Supporting Actor

you should go with what you want. I personally dont think you need to spend alot to get a decent picture, heck I have a 1997 XGA LCD model that I think looks great and gives a very sharp picture. with a decent dvd player I get no artifacts either. but im upgrading and just bought a projector. I bought a business projector which I did not want to do but for an XGA projector around the $1000 area there is not much choice. the Epson looks like a good model. it is 16:9 but a low resolution, good lamp life and accepts all signals. the Infocus 4800 looks to me like the X1 they sell. if it is it has good video processing, great contrast, nice lamp life and accepts all signals. but at 800x600 personally I dont like the low resolution and wouldnt buy anything lower than XGA. still infocus gives a decent picture!

I see they are 2 different aspects though. which do you prefer ? 16:9 or 4:3 native ? people will step on me but I like 4:3 native with 16:9 capable cause most everything I do is 4:3. Xbox, TV with occasional new dvd release or an old one I have not pulled out in a while and I can still get 16:9(not full pixels but still...) with alot of movies in 2:39 widescreen even native 16:9 will still get balck bars. I know 50/50 of my dvd's are in that, but they will get full resolution. but still bigger is bigger and it looks good to me. besides we are looking at low budget projectors anyway so it really does not matter nor do we have a big selection. so you got to decide what format is important to you... 4:3 or 16:9 native. or 4:3 with 16:9 compatibility!

I was choosing between the BenQ PB6200 or the Optoma EzPro 735. i picked the Optoma and hope I dont kick myself in the butt for not buying the BenQ, plus they are offering a free lamp too! all for $1499. the optoma cost me $1299 and has DVI-I which to me was important! its XGA and got good reviews. I heard 50/50 about quality build with the BenQ and far away scenes seem to be out of focus/very soft(which I read alot online) but the Optoma seemed to be clear, crisp and sharp!!!! so judgment call I made and hope im happy. its only 3.6 pounds and like 9x7 in size. prety cool to take on vacation!!!! does all HDTV and both 4:3 and 16:9 as well as being XGA. it is a DLP projector. thats another consideration. LCD (since I have owned one) has been a problem for me although it has a good picture you cant avoid dust and dust blobs which later affect picture quality. being in a cellar, finished to mind you still there is plenty of dust and has been a problem on my LCD panels. so for me DLP was a big decision! dust in any projector is not good but quickly noticeable on a LCD for sure!!!! once it gets in its hard to get out if at all with compressed air and cleanings are not cheap. plus DLP gives better blacks and whites! LCD tends to make blacks very grey.

you have 22' in length to play with so thats good but I would not go past 85" if that with a 800x600 projector. you will get screen door and the image will degrade after that. still sitting 22' back at 85" will look good. im 14' away and have a 75" screen and it looks great with no screen door visible but its also an XGA projector(less screen door) so do you want XGA or SVGA ?

a wall wont do. get a da-lite screen. you can get a pull down for around $100(I did, 75x75 sure not ideal but does the job in the dark and can be adjusted up or down to compensate for 16:9 and 4:3) a wall wont do it for you, unless your wall is very flat with no bumps which i doubt.

good luck Monte, will check in to see how your doing. slam away at me guys! [​IMG]

3. Ian-Fl

Ian-Fl Second Unit

I would probably experiment with slight grey colours for my painted screen. Projectors still don't have true blacks they are more grey.
    A slightly grey screen will improve your black levels and contrast levels.