Picked up Yamaha CDC585 unit-not impressed

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tario, May 15, 2006.

1. Tario

Tario Auditioning

Well I have mainly a Denon line up and I didn't like the idea of playing my music CD's through the DVD player all the time..So I decided to go for the Yamaha CDC-585 unit.

I found that really bizarre and there is no light illuminated on the face of the player as well...
    Denon has a nice green ring around the power button when it's off...
    And is this commn for all CD players-that there is no power on/off on the remote

Thanks...

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Hmm... I have a hard time believing that someone makes a CD player with no display.

If the remote has no power button, that means the unit has a hard-switch turn-on. Maybe you can return the player and find one that suits your needs better (although I can’t see a reason for an identifying ring around a power button if the unit can be switched by remote control). Typically hard-button units are left on and plugged into one of the receiver’s switched outlets.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. Tario

Tario Auditioning

Yup..that's it a hard switch..but my second 5 disc Yamaha player is the same way..
    No power switch ON button on the remote..
    It is really annoying and probably a return issue as I see it..

4. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

???
    DVD players do a most excellent job of doubling as CD players. Especially Denon players. Plus, I thought one of the reasons to own a DVD player was to have one machine to play all your disc media on.

5. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

My Sony SCD-2000ES has only a hard power switch. Oddly enough, it has a function on the remote to turn off the display, although this does not turn off the "whoa, dude, this is a multi-channel disc" blue led. Perhaps one is supposed to leave it on continuously, turning off only the display.

Every company has its own take on industrial design.

6. Tario

Tario Auditioning

I prefer having it separate.
    Why..because I train with music and relax with movies..
    I don't want to keep swapping the movies out of the tray and putting in only 1 cd for music
    Plus a 5 cd changer is very appropriate and practical for entertaining with various cd music throughtout a long stretch of time.

Plus I had an empty space on my stand [​IMG]

7. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

Besides the obvious issue of cramming every format under the sun into one cabinet & very probably compromising all of them in the process.............

I bought a CD-only player three years ago specifically because of the (relatively speaking) short life span of most modern dvd players.

Also, most dvd players I've messed with are missing many basic functions my $130 single-disc Technics* player includes and/or I have to turn on the TV & step through several menus just to use them, like say the random function or to delete tracks, which is really irritating. And the worst offenders are the players with *only* the following front-panel buttons: power, stop, play & pause (so if you lose the remote, you're totally screwed). Arrrgh!

And more and more dvd players are including less and less info on their front-panel displays - IIRC a new $150 Toshiba only has the track # - jeez how cheesy can you get.

* it was made in Germany - weird eh? The player also displays CD index marks - these are pretty rare these days but quite a few classical and other albums that have very long individual tracks include them: I own a Telarc classical CD with them & Enigma's MCMXC A.D. has them also (this is the album with the semi-classic & much ripped-off song "Sadeness")

8. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I've owned the Pioneer DV-563A multi-format player since it came out and have never had a problem with it lacking functions or with it switching between formats. You load the disc, it automatically tells you what format you have just fed it, you push play and enjoy. Has a great picture, to boot. The only thing that kind of bugs me is the crossover being fixed for multi-channel at 100 and 120Hz. That's a subject for another post, however.
    I currently have my eye on the Denon 2910 or its next generation.

9. JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin Producer

compromises include:

lack of adequate shielding.
    displays that are intended to supplement, rather than substitute for televisions.
    substandard DACs.
    substandard power supplies.
    conversion of dsd into pcm.

10. LanceJ

LanceJ Producer

If you had my CD player in your system, it would be easier to understand what I'm describing. It's not always that dvd players are missing a function(s), rather, it's the process used to access them that causes much hair-pulling. Look up "ergonomics" for more on this subject.

11. Shane Harg

Shane Harg Second Unit

I hear ya. I used to have 'em separate while I was living over there, but I really never saw the wisdom in doing so, for my purposes. Ergonomics? HELL...if i knew what that was, I'd have stopped spinning vinyl years ago...