Picked up the Spyro Gyra *in modern times* SACD today for $15.99 at Best Buy!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Jul 28, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

As some of you many know, some Best Buy stores have gotten in a handful of Telarc SACDs for $15.99 each. That's obviously a great price for hybrid discs from a smaller label. Some of these discs have multi-channel SACD tracks to boot. I found the Spyro Gyra in modern times SACD today at a local Best Buy today. Spyro Gyra is a group that I have heard great things about for years, but for some reason or another, I had never picked up any of their albums. So, the SACD is my first. It's excellent! Mellow, but very musical. Plus, the SACD sounds great! There is a multi-channel SACD track, but I can't listen to it now since my A/V receiver is with Sony being repaired. In any event, I recommend this disc highly.
    Not all Best Buy stores have the Telarc SACDs. I have two stores within 15 minutes of one another. One has the Telarc discs, the other doesn't. I found the Telarc SACDs in the one store in the Sony SACD section.
    NP: Guess! [​IMG]

2. Jeremy Little

Jeremy Little Supporting Actor

We've got them in as well. Got 'em last week. They should be in most stores sometime very soon.

3. Steven Hen

Steven Hen Stunt Coordinator

Absolutely a great deal at 15.99. So far I've picked up 6 of the 9 Telarcs available at my Best Buy! Spyro Gyra is the only jazz disc of the bunch, the rest are classical. I hope BB will stock more of Telarc's jazz discs. The only one I don't think I will ever buy is the mormon tabernackle disk but who knows.

4. Steven Hen

If it were up to me to pick 9 of the Telarcs to be sold at Best Buy, I'd pick..

Erich Kunzel/ Cincinnati Pops Orchestra/ Kiev Symphony Orchestra
    Tchaikovsky: 1812 Overture

Junior Wells
    Come On In This House

Dave Brubeck/Bobby Militello/Alec Dankworth
    The 40th Anniversary Tour of the U.K.: Recorded Live

Oscar Peterson/Ray Brown/Milt Jackson
    Oscar, Ray & Milt: The Very Tall Band

Ray Brown/John Clayton/Christian McBride
    SuperBass 2

McCoy Tyner / Stanley Clarke / Al Foster
    McCoy Tyner with Stanley Clarke and Al Foster

Michel Camilo
    Triangulo

Spyro Gyra
    In Modern Times

Mighty Sam McClain
    Blues for the Soul

I'm just happy that BB is finally stocking a few hybrids. Keep your fingers crossed for an ever expanding selection!

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steven, I would definitely pick up the Brubeck SACD for $15.99 if I could find it. The McCoy Tyner and Mighty Sam McClain discs interest me as well. I hope one of my Best Buy stores gets them in. In addition, I would like to see the Philip Bailey SACD at Best Buy. I'll keep looking!

6. Steven Hen

I will keep looking also but so far all the best buys I've been to in Milwaukee and Madison WI all have exactly the same selection of Telarcs which are..

Erich Kunzel / Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
    Route 66: That Nelson Riddle Sound

Erich Kunzel/Cincinnati Pops Orchestra/king'singers
    Erich Kunzel and the Cincinnati Pops Orchestra Perform Music of the Beatles

Benjamin Zander/Philharmonia Orchestra
    Mahler: Symphony No. 5

Jesus Lopez-Cobos/Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
    Music of Turina and Debussy

Donald Runnicles/Atlanta Symphony Orchestra and Chorus
    Orff: Carmina burana

Paavo Jarvi/Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
    Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14

Mormon Tabernacle Choir/Craig Jessop
    The Sound of Glory

Oscar Peterson Quartet/The Michel Legrand Strings
    Trail of Dreams: A Canadian Suite

Spyro Gyra
    In Modern Times

Hopefully we will see more at the great price of 15.99!

7. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Steven, thanks again for the information. The Best Buy I was in today had just four of the discs you listed, and only one copy of each. My timing was right with the Spyro Gyra disc.

8. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My Best Buy doesn't have any non-Sony SACDs. [​IMG]
    I want them, though.
    Oh, and Ray Brown is arguably the greatest bass player ever. His playing was perfect: interesting and harmonically original, but always laying down the groove and never getting in the way. His work with Oscar Peterson is legendary.
    And he was a married to Ella Fitzgerald! I want to go back in time and go to a party in their house.
    NP: Miles Davis, Complete Live at the Plugged Nickel, disc 1

9. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, as usual, you shared some great behind-the-scenes information about jazz. Much appreciated. Keep checking Best Buy stores in your area for Telarc SACDs. They are just starting to come in. Hopefully they will be more plentiful shortly.

10. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

Here's a blast from the 80s....Spyro Gyra's "Alternating Currents"! Can't wait for that to show up on SACD.

11. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, the Philip Bailey album is on the same label as Spyro Gyra, Heads Up Surround. On would quess you should find it. If you ask me, the Spyro Gyra album is by far the better of the two, music-wise. That's just me though. I loved Bailey in E,W & F but his album won't lite my bunson burner...Best wishes!

12. Zen Butler

Zen Butler Producer

Zen K. Butler
    I saw Syro Gyra at the Playboy Jazz Festival , after some awesome trad-jazz and an emotional set by Cassandra Wilson . I thought, these guys are headlining? I actually ended up having alot of fun with them, they are an interesting mix, I just thought it shined a bit more live than the albums I have heard.
    Paavo Jarvi/Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
    Berlioz: Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14
    I want this!

13. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

My Best Buy has Telarc SACDs. [​IMG]
    Sure, there only three so far, but it's a start.
    NP: Berlioz, Symphonie Fantastique, SACD

14. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

Keith,

15. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Doug,

Thanks for the Spyro Gyra suggestions. I will have to check out their other albums. I'm sure there's a lot of good stuff there.

Rachael,

Thanks for the comments regarding the new Philip Bailey album. I just got a catalog in the mail from the BMG CD club that is offering three free CDs if I buy one at full price. I am getting the Bailey CD free.

By the way, I just got back from Tennessee this afternoon. If you recall, I was in Clarksville on business. I liked the area. Clarksville is a bit small for my tastes, but the scenery is really beautiful. I didn't see much of the area. I flew in and out of Nashville, but spent the whole time in Clarksville. Unfortunately, there isn't much on the drive between Nashville and Clarksville (I-24).

16. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, you should get sent to Knoxville on biz. This is the most scenic part of the state by far. I hope you like Bailey's album. I've listened to it three times and it leaves me cold. I'd rather just listen to an old Earth, Wind & Fire album. The most disappointing cut on the thang, for me, was COMPARED TO WHAT. It's like a match strike compared to Les McCann's roaring forest fire version. His cover of NATURE BOY is mildly entertaining. The rest of the album is dull, to me. Bailey isn't much of a jazz musican IMO. Glad you had a good trip! [​IMG]

17. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, hopefully the Bailey album will sit better with me. We shall see.
    I was in Knoxville in December 1991 for a Tennessee-Penn State women's basketball game. I went to Penn State and played in the basketball pep band at the game. Penn State was winning by 5 or 6 points with a minute to go but lost. [​IMG] That's O.K. because Penn State beat Tennessee in the Fiesta Bowl just a few days later (I was there too as a member of the marching band). [​IMG] Anyway, I didn't get to see too much of Knoxville on that trip. We weren't there even two full days. It rained most of the time we were there.

18. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    Keith, it's the scenery in the mountains that so nice and it's not too far out of town. It's always fun to go watch bears eat bambi![​IMG] Best wishes!

19. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Rachael, perhaps I'll get down to Knoxville again one day. I never expected to go to Clarksville. Anything is possible. By the way, you would like Clarksville, if you have never been there. There is no Best Buy (aka, Busted Buy [​IMG]) there. [​IMG]

20. Rachael B

Rachael B Producer

Rachael Bellomy
    I've been to Clarksville. I used to visit a friend and business associate in nearby White Hall or, actually, more often at his west Nashville condo. I lived in Nashville when I was a little kid. We lived 2 houses down the street from Elvis Presley's home away from Graceland for a year. One day a woman crashed her car into his house in an attempt to meet him. She should of waited till he was actually there![​IMG] My sister lives in Nashville. I stille go to Nashville from time to time.
    I just remembered that football game. It was the bowl game in Tampa. It was close for a long while but Penn St's superior depth allowed them to go smashmouth in the last quarter and really put away the Vols 42-21. I think that was the score...? Best wishes!