Picked up the Sony 09.02 SACD catalog today. When will these titles be out?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KeithH, Nov 29, 2002.

1. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

A few titles in the Sony 09.02 SACD catalog that are not out yet piqued my interest. Anyone know when the following titles might be out?
    * John Coltrane Blue Train
    * John Coltrane Standard Coltrane
    * Chris Thile Not All Who Wander Are Lost
    * Dolly Parton Halos and Horns
    * James Taylor October Road
    * Miles Davis Bitches Brew
    * Herbie Hancock Future Shock
    * Oasis (What's the Story) Morning Glory
    * Dolly Parton Little Sparrow
    I'm not really a Dolly Parton fan, but I would like to hear her on SACD. The other titles should be great on SACD. Of course, Sony's 09.01 catalog showed Bitches Brew and Future Shock, so I am not holding my breath for those. I really want Bitches Brew on SACD, however. Please, Sony. Please. [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
  3. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil,
    Thanks. I forgot to check Brian Moura's site. I have it bookmarked. He is usually up to date with things, but I am hopeful that others might have some news anyway.
    Lee (if you are out there),
    Since you know David Kawakami at Sony, how about dropping him a line about Bitches Brew? [​IMG]
    Seriously, I understand if you are not comfortable bothering him.

4. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

5. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, thanks. I missed this title in Elusive Disc's e-mail newsletters, assuming it was ever mentioned. Furthermore, I have not seen discussions of this title here or on Audio Asylum. From my perspective, this title hasn't garnered much attention, which is odd. On the other hand, there has been a lot of talk in anticipation of A Love Supreme coming to SACD.

6. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Phil, something I find odd about October Road is that I have yet to see any mention of it on the "Upcoming Releases" page on www.sonymusic.com/sacd . In fact, when I've checked that page over the past few weeks, I've seen nothing listed. I just get a blank page with SACD logo in the background.

7. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

8. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I hear you. Speaking of A Love Supreme, I am disappointed, though not really surprised, that Universal will not be releasing the two-disc Deluxe Edition on SACD. I am not averse to buying CD and SACD releases of a title ([​IMG]), but I would have liked to have seen the Deluxe Edition on SACD. Oh well.

9. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

Maybe Standard Coltrane didn't get much attention because it's not a seminal album: Trane achieved the God-like stature he now has via his original work and experimental music. But I'm pretty sure I said a few things about the SACD when I got it. Pay attention, people! [​IMG]
    Keith, I actually don't care that they're not releasing the deluxe edition on SACD. While I like having the extra tracks, do we really need a super-sounding version of a barely professionally recorded live performance, or a bunch of alternate tracks? It just doesn't matter to me. And it's not like most of us are going to listen to the bonus stuff so often. Well, I guess I can only speak for myself, but I only listen to bonus tracks once or twice.
    Also, because of the deluxe edition, this is the only SACD that I don't care if it's a hybrid or not, as I would own the deluxe edition, and therefore a redbook copy of A Love Supreme, no matter what.
    Remember, the bonus stuff is just that: bonus. I could live with or without it, in any format, and it's not necessary on SACD.
    NP: Peter Hammill, Everyone You Hold

10. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I will try to pay closer attention to your posts. In fact, I will start printing them all out and will construct a file for future reference. [​IMG]
    I understand your point about the bonus material on A Love Supreme. I guess what bothers me is that I wonder if Universal will, say a year or two down the road, release the Deluxe Edition on SACD. Assuming I already had it on CD and had the original SACD by that time, the Deluxe Edition coming to SACD might not phase me, but then again, it might. Given that Universal released a "better" version on CD, I would have liked to have seen it on SACD too. The timing is a bit awkward too, in my opinion. What I mean is that the Deluxe Edition just came out, and the SACD will be out very soon. It would have been nice had Universal carried the fresh bonus material over to SACD. Oh well. I'll live. [​IMG]

11. Mike Broadman

Mike Broadman Producer

12. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Mike, I understand. We all know that poor recordings usually do not benefit from SACD treatment.

You said:

13. Michael_T

Michael_T Second Unit

14. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Michael, I haven't been to any stores in North Jersey in awhile (my brother lives up there), so I couldn't really comment. However, what I have seen up there parallels my experiences in South Jersey, Philly, and Delaware, so I easily could have rained on Mike's parade. [​IMG]
    The Compact Disc World stores in Cherry Hill and Lawrenceville have been doing a poor job of stocking SACDs over the past six months or so. I used to be able to find every new Sony title at either of those stores, but they have not been doing as good a job lately. They get in some new titles, but they do it haphazardly. Also, like Best Buy, they don't seem to restock anything. [​IMG]
    In my experience, Tower Records is the best bet in North Jersey for finding SACDs, just like everywhere else I have shopped (which is a lot of places in the US).