Picked up the new Alanis today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Feb 26, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Still on the first couple of listens, but so far it is not bad at all. I liked the first single - Hands Clean, so I figured I'd give it a shot. There isn't a song that I thought to myself "I just don't like that", so that often bodes well.

2. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

hey john!
    seems like we kind of have the same tastes in music! [​IMG]
    anyway, my girlfriend picked it up too...haven't had a chance to listen yet, but i'm glad to hear it sounds at least decent!
    if i get a chance, i'll post my review later...

3. Frank Tran

Frank Tran Agent

I picked this up yesterday as well...still delving into this, but so far so good.

I really like Hands Clean as well and there are no songs that I really dislike so far.

4. John Garcia

John
    It was worth the 11.99 I paid for it at Best Buy [​IMG]
    Not every track is spectacular, but the better ones are good enough that I won't have buyer's remorse. [​IMG]

5. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

How does it compare to the last one? I really liked some of the songs on Former... but I found some of them to be horrendously disjointed.

6. John Garcia

John
    I don't have Former, only Jagged so I can't comment on it. The more I listen to this one though, the more I like it. [​IMG] Favorite tracks so far - "21 things", Hands Clean, Flinch, You Owe Me Nothing. This album has some spunk, but not flat out bitter/anger that Jagged did, which is ok with me.
    I was hesitant about Former, but I have listened to the sample tracks. I couldn't really get a good idea for the whole album from 30 sec. clips though, but I may still go pick it up also.

7. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

I am totally in love with this album!
    I got it Monday at a small CD shop and it's been in heavy rotation since then.
    If Alanis struck out with "Supposed Former...", then she hit at least a Triple with "Under Rug Swept". The tunes are catchy, well recorded, and really have the rare combination of compelling lyrics but also a solid groove.
    Where "Supposed..." failed, this one succeeds. Yes she still uses strange cadence and emphasises the wrong syllable sometimes, but it all works in context of the song.
    If you liked "Jagged Little Pill", you'll most likely love "Under Rug Swept". It has catchier tunes without all the vitrolic subtext.
    I especially love "So Unsexy", and "That Particular Time".
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] out of [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Luis Esp

Luis Esp Supporting Actor

"Flinch" is one my favourite songs on the cd. What I'd like to know is how this album was available online (I've had it since Jan. and I did buy a copy on Tues.)

I assume the songs that were available online were demos, but they sound pretty close to finished product on the cd.

I know at one time Alanis was re-negotiating her contract with Maverick/Warner, so maybe she put her music out on the internet in case she didn't resign with them.

9. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

Hey,
    Does anyone else that has this CD notice a bit of a silibance problem?
    There are some really hot "S's" on this recording. Especially on "So Unsexy".
    Anyone else have this problem or is it just my "too revealing" system. [​IMG]

10. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

well, i finally got a chance to "sort-of" listen to this over the weekend.
    we popped it into my car, but i couldn't really "test" it since my girlfriend had a headache and i couldn't crank it. [​IMG]
    but i can definitely give it a thumbs up for listenability. all the songs flowed quite nicely. i think i actually like it better than JLP...she doesn't seem to be so hostile and screaming the whole time. [​IMG]

11. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

Ric,

I haven't listened to the album yet, but I know Alanis is known for some interesting/irritating voicings. It seems as though she ends every phrase with a shriek-like sound. (It's hard to explain.) Sometimes it's subtle but after a while it gets tiring, especially when you realize it's there.

12. Ron Reda

Ron Reda Cinematographer

I don't mean to steal anyone's thunder, but when I think of listenability, John Mayer comes to mind. Anybody ever heard of him? His newest CD, "Room For Squares" is catchy, listenable, textured and thought-provoking...and is from the mind of a 24 year-old in the midst of a "quarter-life crisis." While some of the lyrics seem to come from a dark place, you'd never know by his music. It's infectious. Pick it up...you won't be disappointed! BTW, it's priced to sell at $10.99!!!

13. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor