Picked up my SR6200 this weekend...(long)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Jul 30, 2001.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    I walked into the local Cambridge Soundworks outlet knowing they carry Marantz and hoping that they would have some to audition, because my regular dealer hadn't gotten their shipment in yet. They had one of each (except 7200) sitting out for display, but not hooked to any speakers (DOH? [​IMG] ) So I start talking to the guy, and he tries to sell me an SR7000 at an excellent price because the new ones are out, but I already know I want the 6200 due to the DPL-II, CS5.1 and the fact that it has a 6 ch. amp for 6.1. Anyway, the salesperson proceeds to tell me that they have a sale going on! Any purchase of $700 or more gets $100 off, and they have the 6200 priced at $699. [​IMG] Just under the limit...throw in a new digital cable in and the deal is done. That makes it $650 including tax. Needless to say, I am extremely pleased. [​IMG]
    It is all set up and I am nothing short of impressed. I have some issues with a few things, but they are very minor compared to the amazing sound.
    Sound and power:
    Supple bass, warm midrange and smooth highs. Of course I had to put in T2:UE and try out the DTS-ES (though I do not have speakers hooked to the 6th channel yet). Excellent.
    Music is clear and this unit has uncovered a level of subtelty that I have not heard before in much of my music. I will have to go pick up the DTS ver of Hell Freezes over [​IMG] and see how it sounds.
    DPL-II:
    I was not that impressed with this for music, and I have yet to try it on any ProLogic material, because I have been re-listening to my favorite DVDs so far. The tuner has, what Marantz calls CS5.1, which actually sounds better than DPL-II, but is doing roughly the same thing. It also has a 6ch. stereo mode to convert 2ch stereo to a 6.1 format, similar to the DPL-II and CS5.1.
    Absoulutely no lack of power. [​IMG]
    On my previous tuner (Sony) I had my speakers configured to "small" all the way around, but on the 6200 I am using the large setting for all the speakers and it sounds excellent. I was considering upgrading all my speakers, but it seems that it was the tuner that was really lacking, not the speakers.
    Complaints:
    1)For a receiver of this price, the remote is very disappointing. It seems very cheaply made, and is not extremely functional. Almost seems like an afterthought. I will likely replace it anyway, maybe with an RC250, RC500, Pronto or other...
    2) (remote again) The DSP modes can only be sequentially selected. When switching from say, DTS to DPL-II. When selecting the button to go to the DPL-II mode, it automatically cycles to the next setting making it necessary to cycle back to the mode I want. Some of the modes, like DTS, have only one setting, but a few of them have 4 or 5 choices for one button.
    Notes:
    You have to manually switch between analog and digital processing when switching between analog and digital sources.
    A preferred sound mode cannot be retained for a selected source (this can be taken care of with macros on a capable remote).
    The unit has S-vid OR composite. It states that there is no switching. So when the output of either s-vid or composite is used, the other is disabled. (not important to me right now)
    ------------------
    All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
    ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Speedring (sorry, car guy)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on July 30, 2001 at 11:50 AM]

2. James D

James D Second Unit

I ordered mine last night from hifi.com which is the internet store for Cambridge Soundworks. I auditioned this unit at my local store and was obviously impressed. I bought it online because my dealer wouldn't match the offer of hifi.com. For anyone interested in ordering this online, hifi.com is the only authorized online Marantz dealer; free shipping; $100 off $700 good til August 1(coupon code: SAVEHUNDRED); 30 day price protection; and best of all- 45 day no questions asked return policy, including return shipping. I know it sounds like I work for hifi.com or even own the place, but I don't. I just want everyone to know about this deal because it expires in a couple of days and I think it is an excellent deal for a great receiver. I figure that I could audition it for the 45 days and by that time there would be more info on the new Denon 3802 and the new line of Sony ES receivers and if the buzz is that if these units are better, then I could return it, but the Marantz is going to be hard to beat.
    [Edited last by James D on July 30, 2001 at 11:57 AM]

3. Will Pons

Will Pons Auditioning

John,
    Is the remote the same RC1200 Universal that the SR7000 came with?
    Also, can anyone tell me exactly the differences in the new SR6200 and the SR7200? Include price and unit weight if available.
    P.S. James, Thanks for the special price tip at hifi.com. I did NOT see where they offer free shipping when you buy the unit?? Any special code to use for free shipping to me?
    Thanks
    ------------------

4. James D

James D Second Unit

Will, I apologize for not clearly stating the free shipping promo. The free shipping offer expires on August 1 at 2PM EST. This is the same time that the $100 coupon expires. Just click on the help link at hifi and then click on the shipping and you'll see the specifics of the offer. BTW, hifi is listed at ebates for 5% cash back. [​IMG] You'll have to act fast to get this deal, but I feel it is completely safe because of their 45 day return policy. P.S., I just checked my order status and found that my 6200 just shipped. [​IMG]

5. GregC

GregC Stunt Coordinator

Does it still have the fixed crossover set at 100Hz? I own the 7000 and that one issue keeps it from being near perfect (well, no Subwoofer when using Direct mode is also annoying).

6. John Garcia

John
    I read through the manual thoroughly, and I don't see where it says anything about what frequency the bass management is using, but I have heard on this forum that it is still @ 100Hz.
    I have not seen the remote for the 7000, but I think this is an all new remote, due to the DTS, 6.1 and 7.1 direct buttons on it. It is NOT a universal remote, meaning it has no codes stored in it already, you have to "teach" it the codes - and the button layout is not optimum for this, but it will work for now.
    In stereo direct, my sub is working. Haven't tried anything in analog direct yet, since I am using the digital inputs. Will try this over the weekend.
    The salesperson said the 6200 is the direct replacement for the 7000.
    Exact differences would be the powered 6th channel, DTS ES & DD EX decoding, DPL II, and 105wpc (5w more than the 7000?)
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 01, 2001 at 10:54 AM]

7. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig

8. John Garcia

John
    The 7200 is not out until late August, early Sept. He said the 4200, 5200 and 6200 showed up at their store with NO warning so that they could advertise/promote etc... I knew more about them than he did from this forum. [​IMG] According to him, Marantz says the 7200 will be a level higer than the current 7000, and that the 6200 fills in the spot the 7000 occupied (not my words, pricing is similar). Doesn't matter to me really, since I think I was going to buy the 6200 anyway. I don't need component video switching, and I can live without 192KHz D/A.
    Yes, CS5.1 is circle surround. It does make the rears more apparent, but it also brings out the center channel and makes the front stage seem much wider. The sound overall is more enveloping than DPL-II. The 6 ch. Stereo mode sounds even better, IMO.
    I have not dismissed DPL-II, and I have already been doing what you mentioned: just listening to music in that mode for a while to get used to it. It sounds just fine to me, but I don't hear a distinct improvement over regular Pro Logic, I guess is what I feel. It definitely is an improvement over normal stereo, though I often switch over to normal stereo too. Often, it depends on what I'm listening to and what mood I'm in. [​IMG]
    quote: BTW: Congratulations on your purchase.[/quote]
    Thanks!
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 01, 2001 at 12:52 PM]

9. Craig F

Craig F Second Unit

Craig
    DPL II has some optional settings for music mode. I think they are a center width adjustment, Dimension and Panoramic modes. Does the 6200 have them? My Integra does not. [​IMG]

10. John Garcia

John
    I have not seen any adjustments for it, but there are different DPL-II modes for music and movies. I haven't figured out what the difference is though...

11. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

So would you say the biggest difference between the SR 7200 and the SR 6200 is the remote, the 192 kHz D/A converters and the component video?
    I wonder if the amplifiers and the rest of the performance are identical? How much of a difference do you think the 192 kHz D/A converters make anyways?
    How much is an RC1200 remote anyways? When I find out how much of a difference there is between the 6200 and 7200, if its just the remote, I don't think I'll pay the extra.

12. John Garcia

John
    I think this post sums it up:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/041628.html
    I was originally sold on the 7200, but the 6200 has all the features I was looking for. The 7200 is just a bit more refined, and will probably have a little more power. I also don't have a need for the dual room/dual source.
    I looked in the manual and the remote is listed as an RC6200SR.
    I'm also guessing that the 7200 will not do switching, just like the 6200. You will likely be able to switch between two component sources, but not a mix of S-vid and component. Since only my DVD has component output, I don't need this feature. The s-vid switching on the 6200 is sufficient for everything else.
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 02, 2001 at 10:31 AM]

13. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Heheh. That post sure does explain the differences on paper, as far as the technical specs go. That was my post! [​IMG]
    I meant, "how much difference does the 192 kHz DAC's make to sound quality." Apparantly it doesn't make much difference according to some folks. I was informed that the 192 kHz DAC's don't make a big difference because no source material is recorded at 192 kHz right now, and there probably won't be much recorded in that format in the near future. Receiver manufacturers will switch over to using those DAC's though, just to be offering the BEST.
    I am now very strongly leaning towards the SR 6200. Remote be damned, its the better value for my money in terms of sound quality, I think.
    What differences there are in the amplifiers though? That interests more than the DAC's.
    [Edited last by Chris PC on August 02, 2001 at 04:39 PM]

14. John Garcia

John
    haha. I didn't realize that was your post. I misunderstood what you were asking...Will you or I hear a difference? And is it really worth it? Not to me, at this point anyway.
    The primary difference, as I recall from a previous post "New Marantz...may be the answer to my prayers", that the only differences were in processing and outputs, not in power output.
    The remote WORKS for everything I need it to do so far. It is just basically ugly and inconvienient, is all.
    I'm sorry, I can't give you any help on the internals though. Due to the slight difference in weight, I would still tend to speculate that there will be a little more power to be had. As I said, though, this little monster has more than enough power, unless you are driving something insane with them. (only thing I am driving insane is my neighbors [​IMG] )
    All I have to say is: I am VERY happy with this receiver. [​IMG]
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 02, 2001 at 06:13 PM]

15. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I was just teasing about the post cause it was mine [​IMG]
    The brochure doesn't specify anything different between the SR 6200 and 7200. Both are 105 watts per channel x 6 ( into 8 ohms). All discrete amplifier stages.
    I know, specs don't tell the whole story. A couple extra turns of wire here and there on the power amplifier and then its more powerful or handles more current.
    How much would a Marantz RC1200 remote control cost anyways?
    So the remote is able to control everything ok? Its jus inconvenient and not lit up?
    [Edited last by Chris PC on August 02, 2001 at 08:46 PM]

16. John Garcia

John
    The buttons are all the same size:small, aligned perfectly with eachother into indistinguishable rows, and the remote is not lighted in any way. With my previous Sony's remote, I could easily distinguish buttons by touch, so backlighting wasn't really necessary.
    I have taught the remote all the codes for the basic funcions in my system, but the layout is simply not "user friendly". I suspect they WANT you to buy another remote...LOL [​IMG]
    A friend of mine has an SR19-EX and it comes with the RC2000 remote, which is quite nice. I will likely pick one of these up. (you can see and compare it to the 1200 on Marantz' site). The RC2000 was selling for around $200, so the 1200 is probably between $100 and $150. I'm just not sure I'm ready for a Pronto...
    [Edited last by John Garcia on August 03, 2001 at 09:49 AM]

17. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Cool. I'll use the remote that comes with it and wait for a "sale" on the RC1200 perhaps.
    Check out this link for the new Marantz North American website:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/...ML/041782.html
    [Edited last by Chris PC on August 03, 2001 at 05:34 PM]