What's new

Picked up an XBox over the weekend (long) ... (1 Viewer)

Frederick

Second Unit
I just wanted to share my experience with you guys. I've been thinking about picking up the `Box since it launched, but with the Gamecube being $100 cheaper, I figured I'd get it out of the way, and pick up Mr. Gates machine in February. Well, I hunkered down and dropped the cash (plastic) Friday ...
I went to Best Buy and grabbed Halo, the `Box (they only had three left :D), and the A/V Pack. I had received a Best Buy gift certificate for Christmas, and I had found a coupon for $5 off a video game purchase in EGM, so I used those to put a dent in the price. A small dent, but any dent is fine. They didn't have a bag big enough :rolleyes, so there I was, on the subway with a XBox, giving the evil eye to anyone who looked at me the wrong way. I had to stop by Sears to pick up an optical cable, and I went by Toy's R Us to get a bag and a game for my PS2, then headed to my S.O.'s house for a while. Naturally, I had the boxes open, spread across her bed. I told her that's the price you pay when you come between a man and his toys. Eventually she got the hint, and we headed to my place ...
It took me a while to hook everything up. I Had to rearrange some things on my receiver, and finding space for the `Box was a challenge (it's a 43" Sony RPTV. Those familiar with it know how short on space the stand is), but I got it all together in about 10 minutes. This thing is big. So right now I have the Dreamcast and the cable box on one shelf on the tv stand, and along the bottom I have the Gamecube, PS2, and the XBox. Even at about 9', the contoller cord was a tad short, so I'll be looking for that extender near the end of the month. All my other systems have extenders. I was a little confused as to why Microsoft didn't have one available ...
If there is any doubt in anyone's mind about why they should consider getting an XBox, have them play Halo on a proper setup. The Bungie intro alone had me convinced. Gaming in Dolby Digital is a whole new experience. My girlfriend even commented on it. The firefight on the ship had me hooked. Once the Master Chief landed on the planet, I walked around looking at the trees, the rocks, the waterfall, hell, the individual blades of grass, I was impressed. Almost got my ass handed to me when the bad guys arrived from looking at everything else!
I've been playing Halo off and on all weekend, and I can't say enough good things about either. Granted, I haven't played anything else, but just by going off of what I have now, I understand everyone's excitement about the "New Kid on the Block". I didn't have a problem with the controller, but I have pretty big hands. My S.O.'s son has smaller hands, so I'm interested in picking up the Japanese controller whenever it becomes available so that he can play sometimes. And as far as Halo, I'm nowhere near where you guys are. I just rescued the captain from the alien ship
, so I know I have rougher scenes ahead. Did I mention my hate of Hunters? Geesh, those bastards are hard to kill!
So that's my story. The XBox is a worthy addition to my PlayHouse. I'm glad that I've finally got it, and I see myself enjoying it for a long time to come. I'm sure that anyone questions have been asked and answered already considering it's been out since November, but if anyone has any, I'll be happy to answer. Happy Gaming!!
Freddy C.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Great story, Frederick! I love hearing first impressions like that!!
Halo is indeed quite an experience in DD 5.1, and just so you know, you are about halfway through the game. But the second half is pretty nasty...if you thought Hunters were bad...wait 'til you see the new sheriff in town (you are almost there)... :)
Congratulations, and enjoy that new system! With some great titles out already (Gotham, Onimusha, Silent Hill 2) and some killer ones coming very soon (Jet Set Radio Future, Brute Force, Tony Hawk 3, Hunter: The Reckoning), you can count on having very little social life in the next few months! :D

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Yes -great post Frederick! I agree totally - one cannot overstate the difference 5.1 makes to gaming.

That and hooking the XBox to my projector every once in a while - don't want to burn too many hours on the bulb - is a true sensory experience.

Halo is awesome - I'm pecking away at it - I found something in the Silent Cartographer and am on my way back up.

Dave - I must be getting real close to the new sheriff!

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Hi, Lou! If memory serves, you've got a lengthy indoor/outdoor level ahead called Assault on the Control Room, and then a swamp level called 343 Guilty Spark. That's the level when the fun really begins! :)
I envy you guys...there's nothing like the first time... :D

Frederick

Second Unit
That's comforting, considering how fast the Hunters killed me the first time we met. Walking in guns blazing is NOT the way to finish this game! So let me ask you guys this question: how long did it take you to get the hang of that jeep-on-crack :laugh:! Man, the first time I got into that thing I must have flipped it 5 times before I made it anywhere!
I have to say that I'm practically giddy about this system. I've been a gamer for a LONG time, and I've had almost every system made at one time or another. Halo is something that has to be experienced. Red Faction on the PS2 had me pulled in like Halo, but this game has me (almost) happy that I'm on call this week so that I can go home and play it. God help whoever pages me and interrupts ...
I know that there are people who don't see what the big deal is. It's just another game system. Halo is just another FPS, after all, and there are plenty of others like it. Not JUST like it, but like it. But it's more than the game, it's the system that's pulling it off. It reminds me that once upon a time there were only two names in the bizz, and a mega-company named Sony decided that it could take on the big two and make a system that everyone would love. I remember how I felt when I was the FIRST person at Toy's R Us that morning to pick up my PlayStation and Battle Arena Toshinden, and soon after Warhawk. And when I played these games, and played the HELL out of them I did, I remember feeling the same way I feel now about the XBox: This one's going to be big, boys. REAL big. Man, it's good to be a gamer right now!
Freddy C.

Derrik Draven

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
Fred - Hunters....ahhhh, gotta love them big bastards. They used to make me literally say "aww man, not again", when I'd see one of them walking tanks.
But, there's a trick to 'em. It works great once you get used to it. Get in close. Close enough that they stop shooting that green blob of death at you. When you're close enough, they'll charge at you like a bull. Now you have to play Matador. Simply step aside before they hit you and, you'll have a great, unobstructed shot at their defenseless backside. There's some soft meat back there that isn't protected. Him them hard right there. But, they WILL turn around and try ramming you again.
The real fun is trying to do this with 2 Hunters!!! :D
Congrats on buying The Box.
I'm jealous in a way: just like someone else mentioned, there's nothing like your 1st time through Halo.
Can't wait for the sequel.
I doubt it will take 3 years like this one did.

Dave Falasco

Screenwriter
Yeah, Derrick's hunter-slaying trick is the way to go. Unless you have a sniper rifle, in which case I would say get about 30 miles from the big blue bastard and start plugging away with the 10X zoom! :)
And if you really want to take the pebble from the master's hand, do Derrick's matador trick, but when the creep rushes by you, run up and whack him with your rifle! Do that enough times and the Hunter will fall. And on that day, my son, you will be a man...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks