Picked up an SVS sub today

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Josh Lowe, Aug 18, 2002.

1. Josh Lowe

Josh Lowe Screenwriter

I purchased an SVS CS 20-39 today from a fellow HTF member, along with a Marantz MA500 amp to power it.

After bringing it home it took all of 10 minutes to get it connected, and another hour or so of altering placement, setting levels, etc.

Then I put in a copy of the most bass-loaded DVD I own: LOTR: Fellowship of the Ring. Watched the whole movie from beginning to end.

One word: DAMN. This sub is a beast. I love it. The entire stretch from entering Moria to the Balrog has got to be the new benchmark for testing out every part of your HT, especially the sub. I've written in another thread that I found FOTR to be very overdone when it comes to dramatic use of bass. But the upside of that is that if your system can handle FOTR at volume - it can handle anything.

What impressed me the most was not that the sub made a door on the other side of the room rattle on its hinges (which it did several times). What impressed me the most is that during quiet moments of dialogue or parts of the soundtrack, how subtle it could be with adding bass to the main speakers. It was definitely there and working, but it's very seamless.

I am also impressed with the Marantz amp. It got a workout and was barely warm when the end credits came up. I have three of Marantz' MA6100 monoblocks on the way to power my front L/R and center. After seeing how the MA500 performs I'm that much happier..

So anyway, thumbs way up to SVS for making a sub that can both rattle and shake the whole house during a movie as well as behave subtly enough to blend in very well with music - even when crossed over as high as 80-100hz.

edit - might as well throw in that this was uncalibrated. picking up an SPL meter next weekend to get things set up right.

2. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

I picked a 20-39 with a Samson S700 up from a fellow HTF'r as well about 6 months ago, I did the driver upgrade right away and since then I have been in heaven. I had about 6 people over to watch LOTR and they were all impressed with the bass coming out of the SVS, some could not believe HT could sound this good.

Congrats and enjoy.

3. Richard Harvey

Richard Harvey Stunt Coordinator

I agree. SVS should get a bundling deal to put LOTR in every sub box that ships to make sure people really see what this thing is capable of. My favorite scene by far is the "explosion" during the prelude battle scene, where the bass rolls off in a falling frequency slide to the lowest levels. You can hear it starting at the high peak, then continue dropping like a rock as the levels increase and the wall vibrations build until it bottoms out in your gut.

Rich