What's new

Picked up a RadioShack 15-2116 today... First impressions, and some Questions (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Okay, after spending part of the afternoon playing and setting up the new remote, here are some impressions...

Went down for a small roadtrip today down to the states, I was able to find this at a radioshack (they dont seem to carry the remote in canada), and picked it up.

At first, programming it was quite confusing, but I got everything working great now, once i got the hang of it, it was painless (i actually had to reset it a couple times coz i didnt wanna bother erasing all the IR-learned codes one by one after I assigned the wrong component to a button)

The remote has a good rubbery feel to it, non-slip, the backlight is great, the LCD screen is informative, nice little feature with the time too.

THe remote was able to replace SIX of the SEVEN remotes that were in the HT. The DENON CD player I have (an older, japanese model) did not work with the code provided. I tried to make it learn it, but... MEM FULL! D'OH!!!

I have it set up for use with my INFOCUS X1, works great. I had to reprogram the digits for my reciever to select sources, which was a bit of a waste of memory.

All in all, $30 seems very worth it so far, fairly simple to use, no more fumbling in the dark looking for remotes lost in the sofa cushions :)

I've never really thought we needed a universal remote, it seemed more like a luxury item, but seeing the price was right, I decided why the hell not. For anybody whose got a bunch of remotes as well, and dont wanna spend a bunch of money for a PRONTO or the like, this remote is quite decent.

For my question:
Anybody know a good resource for lists of codes that i could try with my DENON cd player? (DCD-1630G)

This remote has the JP1 connector. What customizations can I do with this if i had a JP1 cable? Would it solve my memory issues by making things more efficient in storing the codes?

Thanks

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
On second thought, I think it would be best to get a JP1 cable, so I can further customize it.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I got one of those for a friend a while back, for the same reason – too much remote fumbling. It’s a pretty nice piece for the price. If I recall my primary “beef” with it was that there are no dedicated buttons for macros. You can assign a macro to any button, but you loose all other functions that might have been assigned to that button.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Steve Griswold

Stunt Coordinator
The JP1 cable costs about $20 (you can build one for a few bucks less but it's a pain in the ass, IMO)

get one here: http://jp1.filebug.com

The Yahoo group is invaluable for getting JP1 set up. That is also a royal pain in the tochas, and is not exactly user friendly but pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

The benefit to JP1 is that you use the remote's internal static memory, freeing up ALL the learning memory for other items, as well as insuring the remote won't "lose" your codes for any reason.

MikeTC

Stunt Coordinator
With JP1, there are extenders (additional programs) that enable the 2116 to have long/two press to fire up macro or use it as another key. I strongly recommend JP1 with any One for All remotes.

Paul_A

Grip
Yesterday, my dog chewed up 3 of my 5 remotes. All three of them were pretty important (tv, dvd, and xbox remotes), but only one was a must have. The others I wanted because I am lazy.

Anyway, since I didn't want to spend very much money right now, I decided to pick up the 15-2116 today. I am very pleased with this remote except that it lacks support for one button on two of the remotes which can easily be fixed by learning with a friend's remote, but there is also one minor inconvenience: the Xbox and dvd player are both dvd devices. This means that I can only have the xbox remote or the dvd remote learned at one time. I tried using Aux, but it kept giving the not found error when I input the code. Is there anyway I can put the dvd player on the dvd button and the xbox remote on the aux button, or some other button?

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Im pretty sure you can... i remember while i was setting it up, i had both AUDIO and DVD set to my reciever accidentally, with different codes.

Off the top of my head: Set it to DVD mode, entered the programming mode, then selected the AUX button, and choose a code for the DVD. Then you should have two DVD buttons.

Not 100% sure, this is entirely from memory from a week ago...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Well, i built myself a JP1 cable... a very VERY poorly made, aesthetically unpleasing cable. But hey, it works, even though i used no solder at all :b i lost my solder. I was too lazy to go out again to buy some. I bought a crimp-style D-Sub 15, so i used the crimps to make connections. I found the diode, but the RS in canada dont carry resistors, i had to dig up some from a past project that involved hooking something to the parallel port (im not even sure of the resistor values :b).

Boy its complicated, i skimmed over the 'beginners guide to JP1, But i managed to program my CD player's main commands into the remote, so i have now replaced all 8 remotes. Good enough for me :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks