Picked up a Marantz SR4000 for $150

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Garcia, Jan 1, 2002.

1. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Actually TWO. One with a remote for $199, and one without a remote for $150 (that's less than I paid for my remote hehehe)! Gave the one with the remote as a gift for X-mas (they were happy!). After setting it up and listening to it, I went back and picked up one for myself to replace the DE815 in the bedroom. I have a left over remote from the 6200, because I bought an RC2000 MkII to replace it, so I didn't care if it didn't have one. It doesn't do DTS, but my first gen Panny only has DD anyway, so it works out fine.

The real point of this post - This thing ROCKS! The sound is so much better than the Sony that it's not even funny, and that was one of the top, non-ES models from that year. The Sony has a decent x-former and respectable power, but the SR4000 easily eclipses it. And the sound quality is head and shoulders above for analog stereo music (with no DSP/surround). Dare I say it may actually have a better sound than my SR6200 for 2ch music... I had read posts that some people preferred the sound of the previous generation Marantz gear, and I suppose there may be some truth in this.

2. Marc Rochkind

Marc Rochkind Second Unit

Hmmmm... and I had thought that the only way to be sure you were getting a good receiver was to buy one too heavy to pick up! [​IMG]

3. John Garcia

John
    The Sony is actually heavier than the Marantz...[​IMG]

4. John Garcia

John
    RC6200SR does not work for some of the more basic functions for the 4000...most notably I can't turn the receiver on and off via the remote. Haven't tried the RC2000 MkII on it yet for those functions, but both work for volume and source selection. Might have to break down and see if I can get it's remote.