Picked up a HK DPR-1005 for $200, keep it?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kean-Hock Yeap, Aug 12, 2005.

1. Kean-Hock Yeap

Kean-Hock Yeap Stunt Coordinator

Recently purchased an Onkyo TX-LR552 digital receiver for $150 from Fry's. Happened to come across a floor demo unit of HK DPR-1005 for $200. The unit looks pretty clean so I figured what the heck and picked it up. I do intend to do an comparison listening between the 1005 and the LR552 to decide which one to keep and which one to return. Before I get that far, am wondering if any of you care to comment on which one to keep in case I am missing something very obvious [​IMG] . Am mainly going to use it as a second unit for music listening.
    (My home theater is adequately served by a Pioneer 1014TX).

2. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Keep the Pioneer or Onkyo. [​IMG]

I'm too lazy to find the link, but Home Theater Magazine did a review of the 1005. It is woefully underpowered. I like Harmon Kardon stuff. Their analog powered units actually are known for being one of the rare receivers that meet their specs *all channels driven*. However, the 1005 does *not* meet its specs.

If you want to try and find this out at home, try listening to some "loud" movie soundtracks at high volumes. Listen for distortion or "straining" from the H/K. Listen for a looseness, flabbiness, lack of impact, or loss of control in the low frequencies. Listen for a harshness or shrillness to high freqs.

3. Kean-Hock Yeap

Yeah the Pioneer is not going anywhere. What I am trying to decide is the second unit, which I will be using for listening to music. Most likely it will only be using to drive 2 speakers, without the need for the volume to be cranked up that much (small room).

4. DavidAMennie

DavidAMennie Stunt Coordinator

I'm interested in your 1005, if you decide to sell it...

5. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

Btw thanks Kean-Hock Yeap, a friend of mine was looking for an AVR and it never occured to me the Onkyo could be so cheap (Fry sells thru outpost.com and if click past the $399.99 pricing it sells for $129.00 + shipping, got it for $142). What a bargin for what it costs as it's 6.1, video up-converts to components, and dirt cheap enough to take chances with (I thought I got a great bargin with my Sherwood 6108 when CC offered it for the same price with a $30.00 rebate, I'm going to put it head-to-head with my Sherwood to see if I need to upgrade the bedroom. Does it have a sleep timer (couldn't find it under specs)?

6. Rory Buszka

Rory Buszka Supporting Actor

Recently the DPR-2005 went on sale at the Fry's where I work (or worked...until Saturday when I got fed up and left) and when I did A/B switching between the DPR and the AVR 235 with the subwoofer off, the AVR had much clearer, cleaner sound than the DPR's PWM digital amp, not to mention more powerful and well-defined bass through the Infinity Beta 40's (mains), Beta C250 (center), and ES250s (surrounds). The D2Audio digital amp module in the DPR2005 is one of the best sounding digital amps I have ever heard, but it still doesn't sound as competent as a good analog high-current amp. If you are serious about the amp in your reciever, do not buy digital until some major refinement is accomplished. The digital amplifiers just can't provide the current that H/K's analog high-current amps can, and they sound cold and desolate by comparison.

Anecdote: One real jerk came in looking at the DPR 2005 and when I tried to do the demonstration for him to show him how he would be better off with the AVR reciever, he acted like he was understanding and beginning to agree. Then he asked me if I was on commission (and what could I tell him? I was.) Then he asked me to get him another salesperson, so I went and got my department supervisor. The customer griped to my supervisor about how he had read all the reviews and did all his research and decided he wanted the DPR2005 and how I was feeding him some BS about how this lower (in HIS perception) reciever could possibly sound better than the DPR he was considering. So my supervisor just told me to go ahead and get him the reciever he wanted. But the guy didn't give me any indication that I was wasting his time until he asked me to find another salesperson. What a total jerk this guy was, from start to finish. This is why I am SO through with retail. Ever wonder why some salespeople seem to be in a bad mood? Well, this is probably why. Here's a little lesson for all of you: All the reviews, specifications, and testimonials in the world CANNOT GIVE YOU AN OPINION OF IF A RECIEVER SOUNDS GOOD TO YOU. GO AND ACTUALLY LISTEN BEFORE YOU PURCHASE. That's the moral of the story.

My advice to Kean-Hock Yeap:
    Return both those recievers, and LOSE the attitude that you are going to get something for nothing in this deal (this has been one of my greatest frustrations with retail customers), and then pick up a big H/K AVR-series reciever. Force yourself to spend $700 or more. If your Fry's is like the one where I worked, and there is a push-button switching system, switch between the two recievers. Also, listen to the Onkyo TX-SR602 and the Onkyo TX-SR702 for a comparison. This is the only way you're going to end up with a truly good reciever. What good is it to get a good "bargain" if the product still sucks? (and BOTH the TX-LR552S and the DPR series recievers do indeed suck.)

I bought an AVR 335 on the tuesday of the week that the DPR 2005 went on sale for the same price (to me, when employee discount is figured in), and I have NO intention to return it and get the DPR.

7. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

Excellent post. There is a reason why the 1005 and 2005's are being sold so cheaply today... [​IMG]

8. Kean-Hock Yeap

Rory, sorry to hear about your bad experience.

As far as the receiver is concerned, this is NOT an attempt to buy the best receiver there is out in the market, and it certainly is also NOT about getting something for nothing (perhaps $200 is nothing to you, but it is something for me).

I have one very simple question: a comparison between the TX-LR552 and the DPR-1005 for use as my secondary receiver unit. I have no doubt that the AVR335 is a much superior receiver in every aspect. But that is not what I am looking for here.

Thanks for your feedback regardless.