Pick one! Denon 1600 Vs. Panasonic XP30....

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Danny Beck, Jan 16, 2004.

1. Danny Beck

Danny Beck Stunt Coordinator

In my quest for the ultimate DVD player I am trying to figure out which of these 2 players if the best of the best. I'm only concerned with these 2 players so please refrain from giving other suggestions. I currently own a Denon 1200 but i'm considering returning it if I am assured of much better results with either the Denon 1600 or the Panasonic XP30. So, with that said, please give me your vote for which is the best and why.

Also, please try and keep in mind the longevity of both players. I've already found 2 Denon 1600's only to have malfunction within days of purchasing them. I also have no interest in DVD-audio so not having that with the XP30 means nothing to me.

Thank you.

Danny

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

The Denon DVD-1600 and DVD-1200 have DVD-audio for a premium price. If you don't care about DVD-audio you should really be looking at the Denon DVD-910, its the same as the DVD-1200 minus the DVD-Audio. The discontinued Panasonic XP50 is the same as the XP30 plus DVD-audio so its more of a direct comparision with the DVD-1600 or RP82 models. If you don't want DVD-audio, then compare the XP30 with the Denon DVD-910. Also there is the Mitsubishi DD-8040 which is like the Denon DVD-1200 but cheaper, under $250. I bought a used XP30 on EBAY and it meets my needs with excellent picture quality and features the Denons lack, but it cost $250 the same as a brand new Mitsubishi DD-8040. You are aware all those Panasonic XP30,XP50,RP82 models were discontinued over a year ago and now you can only get them on EBAY aren't you?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 1600 was also discontinued late last year, and finding a new one will also not be so easy.

4. Danny Beck

Yeah, I knew they were discontinued. I have done a ton of research though and I want to track down XP30 if it's worth my time. As I stated earlier i've already owned 2 Denon 1600's. Both had problems and had to go back.

So, I just found a guy on the AVS Forums and he has a factory refurbished Panasonic XP30 and he's going to sell it to me for $250. [​IMG] He lives close to me so we're actually going to meet up and do the deal tonight! So, I think i'm set on that one now. I'll report back on Monday with the results. I'm hoping this XP30 outdoes the Denon 1200 that I currently own. Otherwise I just went through a lot of trouble for nothing. [​IMG]

I also don't have any interest in the Mitsubishi because it has the CSS=on. I don't want that at all. Hopefully this little transaction works out.

Danny

5. Don_Berg

Then go for that XP30, I got one and its great. I compared it with a Mitsubishi DD-8040 I got at Tweeter to test and the XP30 was clearly superior with no color flicker problems. I took the DD-8040 back for a refund. That guy is making a huge profit, he bought it for under $100 for that refurbished deal where the company had 8 units to sell by the way.

6. chung_sotheby

chung_sotheby Supporting Actor

I think that $250 for an XP-30 is about $75-100 too much. You can get a Denon 1600 or a Panasonic RP-82 used for about the same price. However, since you have ran into problems with the Denon, you might be hesitant to go back. But one advantage of buying used instead of refurb or B-stock is that you pretty much know that the unit is working. Alot of times DVD players either stop working very early on or are dependable for the long haul. Good luck either way, the chip that the Panny's and Denons used is still the best

7. Danny Beck

Well, I got my XP30 on friday night. The guy happened to live right near me so we met after work. I personally don't think $250 is too much at all. Look on Ebay. They have brand new units going for $310 plus shipping which totals about $340 when it's all said and done.

When I opened up my XP30 it looked like a brand new player. Still had the stickers on it like a new product! I am very impressed with it's picture quality. Absolutely perfect to my eyes. For now I fee like this is the best option out there for my GW III until a fantastic DVI player comes along. [​IMG]

Also, I wanted to point something out Don. Does it really matter what someone else paid for a product? Does the fact that he paid $100 mean that it's only worth $150 to me? No. If someone sold you a BMW for $50 that doesn't mean someone else shouldn't pay you $5000 for it. It's worth whatever it's worth. The fact that he got a fantastic deal on it doesn't change that fact. XP30's routinely go for $300+ on Ebay so I feel like $250 was a bargain. [​IMG]

Danny

8. Don_Berg

If you wait a couple weeks thought I heard that online site that sold the XP30's for under $100 recently is going to get some more in - so you could have saved a lot.

9. Danny Beck

Well, I didn't want to wait any longer in hopes of finding one of these things for a lesser price. What if I didn't get one of those units for $100? What are my alternatives after that? I guess then I could check out Ebay where they routinely go for much more than the $250 I paid.

Also, i'm a little suprised Don that you would question $250 for a XP30 when you yourself say you paid $200+ for your own XP30. Not to mention my player has 10 hours on it's laser (according to the service menu) and came packaged as if it was brand new and never touched before. I still feel like $250 was a bargain for this player. The picture quality is nearly perfection IMO.

Danny

10. JamesGL

JamesGL Stunt Coordinator

Floor models at the goodguys for the 1600 are just $250.
    In East Palo Alto, there were two left, but one has a different remote.
    I decided against it since I am anal about build quality.
    The thing seems poorly made, wobbly tray was my biggest concern although I am sure it does not affect performance, it bothers the hell out of me.

11. Chip E

Chip E Screenwriter

Like someone else said... it only matters if your gonna use the tray for large drinks over 16oz. All kidding aside, i have three buddies who have the 1600 and they love it. Great video.

12. Bill Kennedy

Bill Kennedy Extra

If I could get the 1600 for 250 I would jump at it. I have had mine for over a year (at 450!) and I love it!

And, 16oz is no problem... it can actually hold a 32oz Big Gulp rock steady also... [​IMG]

13. Steve Satch

Steve Satch Stunt Coordinator

I can get an XP30 for $310 new. I think I'm going to.

14. Don_Berg

Go for the XP30, you won't regret it.

15. Danny Beck

I second that! [​IMG]

Danny

16. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

OK, I pick the 1600, when are you going to send it to me.

17. Michael_I_C

Michael_I_C Extra

18. Michael_I_C

Michael_I_C Extra

At Sharper Image

19. Michael_I_C

Michael_I_C Extra

Sorry for some reason, I can't post a link yet

20. Michael_I_C

Michael_I_C Extra

Damn it, I lost the functionality to post links. This is highly unusual.