Pic trouble, TV or DVD player?

Discussion in 'Playback Devices' started by Tom Martin, Jul 11, 2004.

1. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i just posted this in the tv section, but since i don't really know where the problem is i'm posting it here also:

i've had this trouble since i bought my set last october and still haven't been able to figure out what's goin on.

I have a samsung hi-def 55" rear projection tv. and i have a denon 910 dvd player. i'm using monster component cables. now, when i have the player set at 480i the pic has more detail, the black is deeper but also the pic is grainier and if the screen is a mostly solid semi-light color, i can see a vertical bar of a lighter shade than the picture somewhere on the screen.

when i have it set to 480p, the pic is smoother but the black is not as dark, detail is lost and the pic actually looks slightly blurry.

can anyone explain this? thanks for any info.

2. Andre Bijelic

Andre Bijelic Stunt Coordinator

TVs typically default to different settings for 480p signals vs. 480i signals. This is probably why the 480p image looks brighter on your set. All you have to do is readjust your brightness and contrast settings.

Most HD sets also add some kind of processing to 480i signals in addition to deinterlacing - noise reduction, SVM, and so on. This may be why the image looks sharper at 480i.

Also, if your set is a DLP, LCD, plasma or other form of digital display, it's going to have to rescale the image to match its native resolution, regardless of whether it's receiving a 480i or 480p signal.

And for what it's worth, I bought a Denon 910 and returned it within two weeks because I thought the image was very soft - much softer than my old, cheap little JVC player. You can improve the look of the picture, though, by turning up the sharpness a few clicks.

3. Tom Martin

Tom Martin Stunt Coordinator

i originally had the denon 900 dvd player and that certainly had a soft picture, along with a few bugs as well. the 910 was supposed to fix those bugs and improve the pic. the pic on 480i looks quite sharp. it's just the 480p that looks pretty soft. why one but not the other?