What's new

Pic of my AV15 cube (1 Viewer)

Darren_T

Second Unit
I really like the PR's, It hits quite well down to 18hz then starts dropping off. My room has a little bit of a problem below 25hz so I had to EQ that range a bit. I believe it would be fine in another room without the EQ. I'd love to compare the ported version you built to my PR'd version. That would be quite interesting. I replaced my vented 214L tempest with this sub but that isn't really a fair comparison :)

Very niced looking sub! Looks very familiar too :)

Cam McFarland

Supporting Actor
The sub looks really good, but I am having trouble figuring out how it can be such a small box.
As you say, it is replacing your 214l Tempest (~17,000cu.in if I am not mistaken)
This only has a volume of ~9300 cu.in.

How does this work?
Does the fact its uses PR's, instead of ports, allow it to be smaller? Or is it just a totally different design?

Darren_T

Second Unit
Totally different design and the PR's allow for the smaller box. Someone else could explain it better than I can... I just build proven designs... I don't desing them myself :) The cube I built is the recommended enclosure from Stryke.

The 214L Tempest was a vented enclosure and was HUGE. I wanted something smaller that would outperform the Tempest and this does just that.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Darren, can you describe the differences in sound between this and your old sub? I have a ~214L Tempest which I'm pretty happy with, but I know I'll eventually want to upgrade. Just wondering what changes you've noticed.

Thanks!

Dan Hine

Screenwriter

Cam, the way drivers are designed/assembled/etc. give them different parameters. These parameters dictate how the driver will perform in certain size boxes. The AV15 was designed to perform well in smaller boxes that the Tempest. Searching the net for Thiele Small parameters will give you much information about what they are and what they mean.

Here is one website.

- Dan

Darren_T

Second Unit

Well, the most notable difference is higher output/overhead. I went from the 250watt Tempest to the 500watt AV15. Better extension, more excursion which translates to more air moved and more tactile bass. The lower frequencies hit much harder for better room shaking :) To me, the bass is tighter sounding. The Tempest was awesome and especially for the price a very good sub. The AV15 is just a step up. It was more than twice the cost of the Tempest when you include the amp price and the PR's but you get what you pay for. It's quite the performer. I love it.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Thanks Darren. Thats exactly the kind of info I needed (or, if you are my wallet, did NOT need). I know upgradeitis will get the better of me one day. I can feel it floating around in the back of my mind, but for the next little while I'll stick with the Tempest. It is good to know that there are lots of avenues to upgrade though.

By the way, fantastic job on both subs.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member

PR's allow low tunings while maintaining adequate displacement of the resonator(s). A port could also be tuned low...but, depending on Vb, may have to be either really narrow or really long . The alignments achievable will be almost identical, though. That is, PR's won't necessarily allow you to get the same FR as your 214L Tempest alignment in a smaller box.

http://www.stryke.com/prfaq.htm

Paul Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Spencer
Allan,

How big are the ports on your subwoofer (diameter)? Do you find them adequate? Have you designed any AV12 vented subs? If so what did you use in terms of vent diameter?

re: tempest vs AV15 ... and cost

The AV series subs have very high displacement for their cost but you have to consider 2 things:

1. they need more power and this costs you more
2. they work in smaller boxes and so it's harder to fit in vents that are big enough without turbulence problems ... which often means using a box that is a bit bigger than you had in mind or using passive radiators (then you end up spending quite a bit more)

In my case I wanted a medium sized (ie 70L) vented sub so I'm looking at being clever with getting a 4" vent to do the job without turbulence and hope I can pull it off! I'm using the AV12

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks