Piano Plus Avanti and the Need for HiDef

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryant Trew, Aug 12, 2002.

1. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

[Previously posted in Software, but I figured it belongs here too]

Hi Everyone,

I just had to share this with you, because I'm kind of excited. I was in NYC this weekend and went to Cosmophonic Sound to see the new Piano Plus Avanti. I saw the unit, and despite that the unit wasn't color, contrast or sharpness calibrated, and the unit was in a temporary position requiring keystoning, I was really, REALLY, REALLY impressed.

It's hard to believe that a unit so small, and costing relatively so few dollars, has such a great picture. I mean, the value was truly there, and I can't see how anyone would spend double and triple the price for other DLP units. However; and hence the reason why I'm posting in the Software forum, watching DVD on a 100" screen really demonstrated the need for high definition media. While the picture looked great, it did not look as good as my 58" Elite, primarily because the perception of sharpness in the image was lowered so much (by the larger screen). The problem was so obvious that I actually was turned off adding DLP to my home theatre.

DVD just isn't good enough for images that large IMO. Mind you, if I had never seen how good DVD could looked on my 58", I would be UTTERLY BLOWN AWAY by the Piano Avanti. That is, I would never have felt the loss of sharpness and would be content with the Piano's picture.

There's still a good chance that I might pick one up, but I'll definitely be longing for high definition media. For images that large it is an absolute requirement!

2. Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson Stunt Coordinator

Greg R
    Hi Bryant,
    I had the opportunity to demo the new Piano last week and I too was very impressed. If you look over at ProjectorCentral.com and AVSForum.com, you'll see that the biggest screen this unit can really handle (well) is 6' wide, or about 82" diagonal. Anything larger than that, and the resolution and light output just isn't up to the task. I'm currently building a basement theater and the Piano is one of two units I'm considering (the other being the Epson TW100). Great little unit and very high "cool factor." [​IMG]

3. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

4. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter

One thing to keep in mind, the 3100 and 3200 both use the same 848x600 DMD chip to produce the image. This is sufficient for DVD, since full resolution DVD on square pixel displays is 848x480. Though the new 3200 can take HDTV inputs, there is no way it can display anywhere near the input resolution. Thus, 1280x720 will be scaled down to 848x480, and 1920x1080 will be scaled down to 848x480. Just something to keep in mind.

5. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

Actually it's only sufficient for DVD up to a certain size. Otherwise you get screendoor -eg 100"

6. Gabriel_Lam

Gabriel_Lam Screenwriter