Piano Black Finish from laminate?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Stephen Hopkins, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Does anyone know if there's a vinyl or similar material laminate that provides a believable piano black finish? I'm getting ready to start a project, and i love the look of the piano black, but i don't know if i want to spend the time w/ about 30 coats of sealer/primer/paint/clear coat, and all the time sanding in between.

thanks

2. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

yep,
    look for these brands...wilson art, formica, chemetal. jack gilvey has an excellent looking laminated piano black sub. do a search on his posts and you'll find a link to a pic or two.
    heres some links...
    chemetal btw this is some unusual stuff. hate to think of the price though.
    pionite
    formica
    wilson art
    email em and they will send you 3-4 samples
    edit:this stuff isnt vinyl. it isnt soft or very flexible.

3. Chris Carswell

Chris Carswell Supporting Actor

I was thinking of going the same route. What type of prices are we looking at for this type of stuff?

4. JerryD

JerryD Extra

I just paid $2.41 / sq. ft. for my gloss black Formica. This is for the countertop grade, not the vertical grade, which was all they could get at Home Depot.

5. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I think formica and the wilson stuff will be a little more dificult to work with than i want. I'm looking for something on a roll like calenered vinyl or con-tac paper. Would this look really cheap and tacky, or is it possible to make something look good doing it this way?

I did see one set of bookshelf speakers on the parts express diy showcase that were covered w/ a black marble con-tac paper that looked really nice, so i think i may go this route.

6. Chris Carswell

Jerry,
    How does that stuff look? Is it similar looking to Jack's gloss black Formica(see pic)? At $2.41 I can afford to do my complete set.
    What did you cover, ya got a pic for us? [​IMG] I always like to look at others projects.
    [​IMG]

7. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

I haven't started the project yet, i'm going to be building a pair of 48" tall tower speakers and a center channel. It will probably be fall break (october) before i can start since i'm leaving for my second year at georgia tech studying aerospace engineering.

thanks

8. JerryD

JerryD Extra

Hi Chris,

I'm building a pair of GR A/V1+s and a sub for my son to take to college this fall. I have the sub done, but am just getting started on the A/V1+s. The sub is a 114 Liter with a Dayton 12" DVC downfiring, 4" dual flaired port and a Parts Express 250W plate amp. The box is 14" x 16" x 45" and has 2" tall, hexigonal legs that attach to a base piece. All the vertical and horizontal edges of the box have a .75" x .75" piece of solid maple imbedded flush and rounded over with a 5/8" radius.

The look is similar to Jack's except for the natural wood colored edges. The finish is not as mirror smooth as the gloss ebony finish on our piano, but from a normal viewing distance, it is reasonably close. You do have to be careful not to let bits of grit collect on the base of your router, as you can scratch the Formica as you slide it along.

Sorry, I didn't get any pictures taken before he hauled it over to his soon-to-be roommates house and hooked it up to his computer. The report I get is that his friends family stands with dropped jaws watching his friend play video games, waiting their turn while the house shakes and they attempt to secure loose items on shelves. I am getting empassioned pleas to let it say there until they move into the dorm.

9. Chris Carswell

Jerry,
    It is always nice to know when your work brings smiles to other peoples faces [​IMG]
    How long ago did you order your AV-1+? Did you get the new woofers with that? I also will be building some, 3 actually and a pair of AV-3 too. Might get a pair of AV-1 later to finish my 7.1 setup. I just finished the box for my Tempest. Now all I have to do is paint it or laminate it. The box is 5.8cu ft. stuffed to about 7.25cu ft. PE 250 amp, dual 4" ports tuned to 18HZ. I have it next to the sofa as an end table. I'll put some pics up when done.
    Little off subject but has anyone here used this stuff:
    http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=260-010

10. JerryD

JerryD Extra

I ordered my A/V1+s in the middle of July, so they were in the first batch to come out with the new woofers. For lining the cabinets, I have a piece of 269-884 "4 layer damping material" from Parts Express that is similar to BlackHole 5, but about half the cost. Hope it works as well. I'm also using 1" MDF for the side walls and baffles of the cabinets.

11. Chris Carswell

I'd ask how they sound but as you said, your just getting started [​IMG] Keep us posted........
    YGM