What's new

Physicists and other scientists: What is the best way to reheat pizza? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The only groundrule is: conventional convection oven.

Had a major munchy attack real late last night. Ordered a pizza, but only had room for one slice.

So, I usually cover the thing with aluminum foil while it's in the box, thus retaining moisture, and shove the thing into the fridge.

When reheating (never more than one day later), I place the pizza on an aluminum foil-covered cookie sheet, and stretch another sheet of foil across the top, leaving a portion open (for venting).

Then I place it on the top rack, with the heat on as low as I can get it. It takes nearly a half hour to warm up that way. However, the crust consistency is not as good--almost soggy. And then there's the danger of nearly recooking the pizza, which bakes away what's left of the pizza sauce (and a pizza must have sauce).

What am I doing wrong?

ChrisMatson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris
=soggy!
I just put in the fridge in the box, or if it has cooled to room temperature (depends on the temperature of the room ;)) I place it on plate and cover it with foil before going in the fridge.
To reheat, I set the oven to about 400-450F and reheat it for about 8 minutes. Check it at 5 minutes. Once the cheese melts, it's ready.

FredHD

Stunt Coordinator
Here's how I reheat pizza.
I take it out of the refrigerator.
The only good leftover pizza is cold leftover pizza.:D

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I thin Chris has the right approach. The idea is to simply heat the slice. Doing so at a high temperature helps accomplish this quickly whle minimizing sogginess. And since it happens quickly, the sauce doesn't get cooked away.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I think you should also put the pizza directly on the oven rack instead of foil so you quickly heat the crust and not retain moisture.

Dave Ringkor

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dave Ringkor
Jackson is right. In fact, there are some places whose pizza is better cold the next day than it is hot and fresh!

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
I'm with Dave & Jackson...

The oven is too much work... eat it cold.

The same rule applies to fried chicken.

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Exactly. Mmmm...cold fried chicken. Cold pizza - the breakfast of champions.

John.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Cold ... pizza? It's something I hear about from time to time, but never see or experience. Some things aren't meant to be.

So, preheat the oven at around 450 degrees F, then place the pizza directly on the rack, and have at it for about five to ten minutes? That sound about right?

JohnAD

Senior HTF Member
Yes...cold pizza! Cold pizza and warm pizza are two different experiences, both good.

John.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Come on up, bro'--there's plenty of it (I ordered a large, and just ate the one slice). :)
*still gimacing at thought of cold pizza*

Julie K

Screenwriter
Hey, can I have a slice too? :)
Cold pizza is about the most terrifying thing I've ever imagined. *shudder*

Julie K

Screenwriter
Mark,
The terrors of the dread Necronomicon, the horrors of the foul Liber Ivonis, and the unspeakable Unaussprechlichen Kulten together can't equal the mind-wrecking horror that is cold pizza.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Pour on your favorite stout and bake away. Oh yeah, beer is good on pizza. HEY! Don't knock it until you try it.
Peace Out~:D

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I've long learned to trust Ron's beer advice. Beer and pizza certainly go together, but I never thought of beer as a pizza ingredient.
Sure, Julie, c'mon down! I'll screen the zombie movie of your choice. Ron and Robert can pick the second feature.
Who else is coming? :)
*still shuddering at thought of cold pizza*

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Bring it on Jack. Give us a date. Got a good local micro-brew pub/eatery in the area for an early dinner?
Or, head down my way, Steelhead Brewery, then back to the Green Room for a few films.
Peace Out~:D

Users who are viewing this thread