1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Media might not be dead, but Physical Media in Retail Stores are accelerating the death

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by mrz7, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Message #821 of 887 Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    At this point, TV manufacturers may as well just drop all the 4K features, as most people are not using it if they're watching SD streaming/cable or DVD's.

Jesse Skeen likes this.
  2. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John
    I wonder what’s going to happen if ISP’s start tiering internet speed based on usage for streaming. They could do that now that Net Neutrality isn’t the norm. Furthermore, even if that doesn’t happen, how many stream services are people willing to pay for? I realize this has been raised before but I for one can’t keep up with what I have to subscribe to to see my favorites

bmasters9 likes this.
  3. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Howie, I think we’re mostly in agreement :)

BobO'Link likes this.
  4. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I think long term, most people will end up subscribing to an umbrella service and add extra subscriptions within that. Amazon Prime and Hulu offer this - you can subscribe to HBO or CBS All Access or most other things through their app, and manage it all through their. In the end, I believe more content is currently being made than people can consume, and that there will be a market correction where some services fold, others merge, and where most people will use something like Prime or Hulu as the entry point instead of having a dozen different ones to toggle between.

And I think more people will wake up to the idea that it’s not like cable where you had to have the technician come to your house, and pay a fee, and commit to having a channel for a minimum period, just to get something new. With streaming, you can sign up for a month and cancel when you’ve run out of new episodes, and then rejoin later. It was a hassle to subscribe to cable HBO just to see one show that ran ten weeks; that’s how people would end up having it for years. It’s super easy to cancel an app.

bmasters9 and Darby67 like this.
  5. John*Wells

John*Wells Screenwriter

John

I admit I have canceled and resubscribed to some services a few months later. I would think though that sooner or later, the services might come up with ways to curb that.

6. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t think it’s in their interest to.

What many streaming services instead do is offer a discount for paying for a full year upfront.

This is part of where piracy enters the equation. Over half of all internet traffic has been measured as being pirated video content. The services know that their competition isn’t physical media or you trying out another service. Take HBO with Game Of Thrones. They know it’s the most widely bootlegged show online. If I started now, I could have HD copies of the entire series identical to HBO’s official stream downloaded illegally in an hour. HBO understands that their app needs to be a better option, that their service needs to be more convenient than piracy to use or people will just pirate it. I’m 36 and piracy became simple and easy close to two decades ago. It’s something that was technically possible in high school and college and something most of my peers never thought twice about before doing it. Survey after survey shows that people among all ages but especially my age and younger simply do not see piracy as illegal, immoral or in the same category as stealing a physical product from a store shelf. That is a very real threat to all content producers and distributors. Educating the consumer that it’s theft hasn’t worked. Prosecuting the consumer hasn’t worked. In the end, the thing that works the best is simply to make streaming cheaper and easier to use, so that it’s a better use of the consumer’s time and resources to spend $10 for a monthly subscription than to spend hours downloading content and sorting it on a bunch of external hard drives.

Jeff Flugel, Suzanne.S and Darby67 like this.
  7. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    This is actually one of the many reasons I'm keeping my 10+ year old car - the built-in CD player. I know newer cars don't have these anymore. And, I haven't gone digital yet re: music.

8. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s simply not true. Each of my parents bought a new car within the last six months and both had CD players. Neither paid for any sort of upgrade package to get them.

9. Message #829 of 887 Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    The Drifter

Jim
    Good to know. I was not aware of this. The reason I hadn't know this is because I haven't bought a new car in 12 years, and I've read (anecdotally) that new cars don't come with CD players. That being said, next time I'm in the market, I will have to specifically ask about this. I do know that not all the new ones have the CD players in the dashboard anymore.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  10. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    THIS! ^

The only people I've met over the years who were willing to deal with downloading tons of junk and storing it on external hard drives, were almost always hardcore computer tech types.

Just about anybody else I knew that was not a hardcore tech person, would not be doing this at all. At most the non-tech types might copy something onto a flash drive, such as photos.

11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    It may depend on the make/model. I've been looking at hew Hondas for a few months, and they don't seem to have a CD player (at least the 2019 CR-V's).

12. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    You guys are going to make me go out and look to see is my four year old car has a CD player or not! Honestly I don’t remember. That’s how much I would use it. Everything I need connects via Bluetooth.

13. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    There are many after market retailers who will install a CD player in any car you want.

mrz7 and Malcolm R like this.
  14. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    As a retired GM manager, I lease new vehicles every two years and the growing trend is vehicles without a CD player. My 2018 Buick Envision doesn't have a CD player. I will be changing out that model in about four months and I expect the 2020 or 2021 replacement model to have the same.

bmasters9 likes this.
  15. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

It must depend on the manufacturer. Our last two vehicles - - 2018 GMC Acadia and 2019 Buick Encore - - did not have CD players. It wasn't a problem for me, though, as I never used the CD player in my previous vehicle. A USB thumb drive works much better for me.

16. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    For the majority of the history of cars, they didn't have CD players. One can only imagine trying to play an Edison Victrola inside a moving Ford Model T.

17. Josh Steinberg

Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I’d pay good money to see a W.C. Fields short about that happening. Quick, to the time machine!

MatthewA likes this.
  18. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    What about 8 tracks and cassettes? I had a series of cassette players in cars starting in the ‘70s.

MatthewA likes this.
  19. Message #839 of 887 Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    The Drifter

Jim
    Never had many 8 tracks; IIRC my parents had a record player with a built-in 8 track player, circa 1980-ish.

I didn't start driving until the late '80's, and definitely remember cassette player in my cars in the late '80'-'90's. I got the impression they were standard by the late '70's?!, and definitely into the '80's.

Circa, 2001, I was getting a new car & had to specifically request a CD player (one that was built into the dashboard) - I had to pay a little extra for this. When I got my last new car (in 2008 - ha ha), the car automatically came with one.

20. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese

Josh Steinberg likes this.