1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Media might not be dead, but Physical Media in Retail Stores are accelerating the death

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by mrz7, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    You can purchase "consumer" devices for under $50 that will do that. I've considered purchasing a SkipDr but don't get that many damaged discs.

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-DVD-Disc-Cleaner-Reconditioner/dp/B0027SFPIA/ref=sr_1_3?crid=3NUO4XSKQSPG0&keywords=cd+scratch+remover&qid=1579116482&sprefix=cd+scr%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Innovations-SkipDr-Motorized-Repair/dp/B0041A3JR6/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3NUO4XSKQSPG0&keywords=cd+scratch+remover&qid=1579116482&sprefix=cd+scr%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.com/SkipDr-Manual-Disc-Repair-System/dp/B0015ACUKC/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3NUO4XSKQSPG0&keywords=cd+scratch+remover&qid=1579116482&sprefix=cd+scr%2Caps%2C151&sr=8-5

When it comes right down to it the couple of CDs I've had to remove a scratch from I did with a cotton swab and bit of toothpaste. Surprisingly it worked enough to let the disc play (and rip) although the surface at the point of scratch removal was a bit cloudy looking.

Bryan^H likes this.
  2. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Isopropyl alcohol - 75% or higher. Works great and doesn't damage a playing surface.

I've used De-Solv-It (kind of like Goo-Gone) on DVDs with no ill effects. Normally to remove that "cloudy" film that gets on some discs. As long as it's on the surface it'll take it off. I've also used it on the label side to remove rental sticker residue or sharpie marks. I always follow its application with an alcohol cleaning to remove the oil film.

3. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    I have 1000s of commercially made and home burned discs, and have never scratched or soiled one so it won’t play. Do people dangle them on a string for the cat?! I had one break in half as I tried to remove it from the case and play it the first time, but Amazon replaced it. It may be because of the exaggerated care I had to practice with my LP collection 1960-1985.

mrz7, Daniel D.Teoli Jr. and Jack K like this.
  4. The Drifter

The Drifter Supporting Actor

Jim
    Thanks for all of the feedback re: cleaning DVD's/CD's. That being said, I don't have a lot of faith in anything that may remove scratches from either format. Back in the 200X's, I remember a local video rental store had a so-called DVD "buffer" that was supposed to "buff" out scratches on their DVD's - but, I don't remember it working that well.

5. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I've purchased a few used discs that had scratches I failed to notice until it was too late to do a return. They'd play but skip. When I ripped my collection I decided to try the toothpaste bit to get a good copy. Things I've purchased new still look new - other than a few that got scratched a bit when being inserted into that car disc holder (a holder for the disc that was inserted into the dash player - I hated that thing) but nothing that prevented them playing properly. I was absolutely anal with my LP collection. No one touched them but me and they went back into the sleeve with the sleeve inserted into the jacket so the disk couldn't fall out. You had to take the sleeve out to get to the disk and the surface was touched by nothing but the Diskwasher, the stylus, and the anti-static turntable mat.
    The Hastings store here had one. I've had them use it on a couple of rental discs that I took back because they were too scratched to play. One worked the other didn't.

6. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    What about an anti-static gun and that little clear plastic “tone arm” with the roller and brush that “played” the record from the opposite side?

7. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    The discs I've bought are fine. But a few of the ones I've rented, especially those borrowed from the library - well, I'm not sure I want to know what's on some of those.

BobO'Link likes this.
  8. Message #808 of 887 Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
    BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Yep - ZeroStat. I have one of those. Also a Discwasher stylus cleaner.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Playing an LP was a ritual. Hit the anti-static mat with the Zerostat, clean the stylus, carefully remove the album from the sleeve, place it on the mat, hit the album twice with the Zerostat, turn on the turntable, clean the album with the discwasher brush, play the album. The flip side got a hit with the Zerostat a couple of times, the album surface cleaned, and the stylus cleaned again before playing.

I've never seen the clear plastic "tone arm" you mention. Mine is quite conventional - an Audio-Technica Pro-12 dual magnet cartridge mounted on a BIC 980 belt drive turntable. Still have it but the motor on the turntable seized up a couple of years back.

I also have an SAE 5000a Impulse Noise Reduction System. It's quite interesting and, if carefully adjusted, works pretty well.

9. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Thomas Newton
    If you really want to be kind to your LPs, there are laser turntables. Unfortunately, at a price of $15,000 and up, these turntables are not so kind to your wallet.

Daniel D.Teoli Jr. and MatthewA like this.
  10. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    https://www.google.ca/search?q=dust+bug+record+cleaner&client=safari&hl=en-ca&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi8u8uzzofnAhXZLc0KHfiqCnoQ_AUoAnoECA8QAg&biw=320&bih=445#imgrc=C4ZADvv1mugrlM

11. KeithDA

KeithDA Second Unit

Keith
    My last 3 small Ford cars have had voice activated ability to change tracks on my Flash Drive... even safer to do whist driving and no CDs littering up the car...

12. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
  13. Daniel D.Teoli Jr.

Daniel D.Teoli Jr. Auditioning

Born in L.A.-NYC is 2nd home-Rustbelt is home base
    Daniel D.Teoli Jr.
    Yes, I'm with you. Cut cable 10+ years ago. Tired of them raping me. I can get almost whatever I like from libraries. I live in a tri state area so go to libraries in 3 different states all within 10 miles of each other. If library does not have it I try to buy used online.

bmasters9 likes this.
  14. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    What tri-state area do you live in?

15. mark27b

mark27b Stunt Coordinator

Mark Pledger
  16. mark27b

mark27b Stunt Coordinator

Mark Pledger
  17. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    That’s a point I’ve tried to explain before - today’s consumer isn’t nearly as interested in paying a la carte for single items or experiences as they are in subscribing to something that offers a wider selection of choice and options. It’s not just with movies. Most people would rather pay $10 a month to a service that will give them thousands of choices over paying $20 for only one specific choice.

That’s at least as big of a story as physical vs digital and a lot of the articles and discussions miss that. It’s not just that people are choosing digital over physical, it’s that people are seeking out subscriptions with access to lots of things over individual purchases of single items.

Darby67 likes this.
  18. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    And most people just don't care about quality or lack there of. They're quite happy with those compressed images. It goes back to the multitudes who just don't see a difference between DVD and BR. It's "good enough."

Darby67 likes this.
  19. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don’t think it’s entirely fair to say that people don’t care about quality.

The problem with streaming is that we don’t have one universal internet bandwidth standard so not everyone is getting the same experience.

I have the lowest tier internet service that my internet company offers. On my 55” TV, I can no longer tell the difference between a Blu-ray of a movie, and a digital version from iTunes that’s using the same master/transfer as the disc. So if I stream something, I’m not perceiving a loss of quality, but I am gaining convenience.

Many people switched from DVD which was in standard definition to streaming in high definition. That improved the quality of what they had.

I just think an across the board statement that people don’t care about quality discounts the fact that for most people, this stuff just works as advertised and gives them higher quality material in higher quality presentations at the lowest price they’ve ever paid.

Wezzo and Darby67 like this.
  20. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    I was mostly referencing that article and it's last paragraph about GOT's highly compressed episode... to quote you from another thread somewhat clarifies what I was saying...
    Most people just don't care. Their phone is "good enough." The way the TV comes out of the box set up is "good enough." They really don't care about quality, at least not the way you and I would define it, whether or not the stream/media supports more than what they're seeing.

Like both of us has said repeatedly, apparently to semi-deaf ears, streaming is "winning" because it's convenient and easy to do.

Just a few years ago my dad asked what he'd need for streaming. I discouraged him from doing so as it was when Netflix was just really taking off and the options weren't in place - it was daunting for someone who wouldn't or couldn't juggle a half dozen options which included an off-air antenna. Were he to ask today it'd be a different story and I could easily tell him what he needed - no antenna required (the local TV stations all have web sites with their new stories - for free - who needs their newscasts?). He and mom both would be able to navigate the menus and options. That's what it's all about - convenience and ease of use.