What's new

Physical Media might not be dead, but Physical Media in Retail Stores are accelerating the death (1 Viewer)

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
The only niche which is "almost dead" for bluray in america, is tv shows which are not genre.

Basically if a show is not on a premium cable channel (ie. HBO, etc ...), not sci-fi/fantasy/superhero/etc ... and is not owned by Warner, then most likely it will never see the light of day on bluray.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
I used to pour over the Best Buy flyer each week checking for Blu ray and DVD bargains. A couple of months ago the flyer listed only the Tuesday released. At least a month ago and after the only discs they advertise are for games.

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
I used to pour over the Best Buy flyer each week checking for Blu ray and DVD bargains. A couple of months ago the flyer listed only the Tuesday released. At least a month ago and after the only discs they advertise are for games.

That's because they're more about equipment and appliances apparently, sad to say!

bmasters9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben Masters
The former dvd/bluray floor space at the nearby BestBuys, are now filled with cell phones.

I never thought that I'd see the day when cellphones made more money at Best Buy than discs did, but it's here and it's now!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
I never thought that I'd see the day when cellphones made more money at Best Buy than discs did, but it's here and it's now!

I remember when I was younger, anybody who owned a pager was usually a doctor or a cocaine dealer. (Cell phones were too bulky and expensive in those days).

PMF

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Philip
I don't buy phones from BB, but I do dial them in for my BD orders.

Last edited:

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
People don’t like to go out to shop period. I love to go to actually leave the house to shop. I like to try on a shirt. I like to flip through a book. I honestly don’t know many who do though. Kind of connects to why people don’t want to own physical copies of anything. Streaming can be done from the home & is faster than ordering so why buy a physical copy? I shop online but it’s mostly to buy things like cds or blu rays. I’m a dinosaur.

The FYE in my local mall used to be enormous!! Huge sections devoted to genres of music & dvds. I could get any type of older albums I wanted and then pick up a season of my favorite show. Now the store is half the size. There are a few greatest hits albums and a tiny section devoted to blu rays. Huge section of phone cases though!

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
People don’t like to go out to shop period. I love to go to actually leave the house to shop. I like to try on a shirt. I like to flip through a book. I honestly don’t know many who do though. Kind of connects to why people don’t want to own physical copies of anything. Streaming can be done from the home & is faster than ordering so why buy a physical copy? I shop online but it’s mostly to buy things like cds or blu rays. I’m a dinosaur.

The primary reason I still buy most books in paper form (mostly from amazon), is that most publishers are complete dolts when it comes to the digital versions of their highly technical books.

Basically the digital versions of too many technical books are lousy scans from an old paper copy. Frequently this creates new "misprints", such as plus + signs which are printed incorrectly as minus - signs, etc ...

Very frustrating.

On the other hand for "junk food" type of books like Star Wars or Star Trek novels, etc ... I'm would be fine with reading the digital versions.

Susan Nunes_329977

Second Unit
Real Name
Susan Nunes
Physical books aren't going anywhere. EBooks don't cut it for me and not for a lot of other people.

As for DVDs, Amazon and eBay are far more responsible for the decline of sales in stores than people just downloading stuff they don't own and which can be removed from the streaming outfit libraries.
Buying online is way more convenient, not to mention the vast variety of titles which are on the online sites.

I still get CDs, mostly through Amazon, if I want a particular album or an artist. I do downloads if I just want a song or two.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I love physical media, but it's probably indicative of something that this is the first Christmas in probably 20+ years that I didn't ask for or receive any movies/TV or music on physical media.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
CES 2019: THE BEGINNING OF THE END FOR PHYSICAL MEDIA
January 11, 2019 by Bill Hunt - The Digital Bits

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/011119-1500

*sigh*

Yeah.

With me, it's been a vicious circle, though. I still want to buy stuff. But the companies stop producing a show on disc, so I get it digitally. Then, I'm less likely to buy something else new that comes out when I can get it digitally, since there's no more certainty that a series will be seen through to completion. Or, it'll be overpriced MoD discs, so might as well just get the digital versions.

Sure, I pick up the complete series from the smaller guys when they release classic shows, but new stuff? Don't see the point anymore.

TJPC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Terry Carroll
This year, I record and edit 4 TV series with my recordable DVD player on DVD-RW discs. Each season, I have replaced these discs with Blu-rays and DVDs and reused the ones I have made. I am still waiting to replace my “Galavant” discs.

I am always afraid that the commercially made ones will not be available. This worked well with “Star Trek Discovery”, “The Walking Dead”, and “The Orville”. This year, for some reason, season 4 of “Fear The Walking Dead” has only thus far been released in Europe.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
http://thedigitalbits.com/columns/my-two-cents/011119-1500

" Paramount Pictures Home Entertainment barely exits anymore, and after a great start with catalog 4K they seem to be losing interest in the format. Sony Pictures Home Entertainment now exists in name only (though at least they are continuing to release some good catalog titles on 4K). New Line and MGM exist in name only. Having just been purchased by Disney, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment is soon to be absorbed into the House of Mouse at the cost of a lot of good people likely losing their jobs. We’re down to just one major replicator of physical media discs in all of North America now (down from six at the height of DVD and Blu-ray). Street dates are getting pushed and delayed. Some titles are hard to find on Amazon and local store shelves. When discs do get produced, there are more authoring and mastering errors (and complaining about these rarely does any good anymore). Titles like Disney’s animated The Lion King are getting quietly released on 4K without so much as a press release. Beloved manufacturer OPPO Digital has stopped making players. It’s a very strange time."

Good times:angry:
LOL...you're about four posts too late!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks