1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Media might not be dead, but Physical Media in Retail Stores are accelerating the death

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by mrz7, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Unexpected expenses suck! I hope you're finally able to get the above set for your birthday, as I know this is the second time you've had to delay purchase of the ROWAN AND MARTIN'S LAUGH-IN set!

I'm currently on a yearlong (Or thereabouts!) disc buying moratorium, as we plan to move out of Ontario's near north later this year, and are socking (Sock it to me? ;) ) away our spare change to cover associated expected and unexpected expenses, plus we don't want to have any more items to move than necessary! :D

Hopefully, physical media options will still exist whenever I'm ready to resume disc buying?!!?:blink:

CHEERS! :)

Tina_H_V, Darby67, Regulus and 3 others like this.
  2. Ron1973

Ron1973 Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire

Ron Reagan (not that one!)
    December 4th for me. No major holidays, but I do share the birthday with Max Baer, Jr.! :D

3. tlc38tlc38

tlc38tlc38 Stunt Coordinator

Trent
    I'm a physical media kinda guy. I refuse to do streaming. Once physical media is obsolete, it won't matter because I'll own all my favorite shows/movies on actual discs. There are only a few more shows that I want to be completed on dvd but as far as stuff that's already released, I own all of it I want.

4. tlc38tlc38

Trent
    I did notice that my local Walmart now carries a lot of the Shout! Factory complete series sets like The Nanny & Green Acres. They didn't use to carry any of the S!F sets.

They also have several other sets like Three's Company & Mama's Family.

5. Message #25 of 856 Mar 4, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2018
    Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    Those are always the best kind! You're seldom disappointed. ;)

6. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Screenwriter

Jeff Flugel
    I'm happy to partake of streaming services for modern-era TV shows and movies, but since Netflix never seems to have any classic TV (and hardly any pre-2000 movies - at least over here), when it comes to catalog movies on Blu-Ray or DVD, or classic TV shows, I'm all about physical media.

This is an old topic on these boards, and those of us who frequent here are likely of the same mindset (that prefer physical media), whereas the average consumer, especially twentysomethings and under, don't care to buy anything that they can't watch on their phones. I doubt if many young adults even have an actual television set anymore. In Japan, most of the under-30 crowd watch TV on their smartphones, tablets or laptops. I'm guessing it's not too different in North America.

Re: Walmart, I do think it can be a regional thing. I know that in the Seattle-Tacoma area in the U.S., the pickings for vintage TV on DVD are slim...but in the rural area where my parents live, the Walmart there often has a decent selection. That's where I occasionally pick up some Timeless / Shout western sets, like The Loner, The Westerner, etc. Their selection is eclectic (last summer, they only had one volume of The Rifleman, season 3, one of the later seasons of Bonanza, one volume of Have Gun - Will Travel season 6, etc.) but they DO still carry some. Who knows, though, how their selection will look when I visit again this summer.

But then, for the past 10-15 years, nearly all my DVD and BD purchases have been through online sources. Other than the odd buy here and there in a Walmart or a Target, I'd say 90% plus of my collection was ordered online. It's just so much easier to find what you want, especially for pre-1980s titles.

The average consumer is most likely only going to pick up the latest new releases in a brick and mortar store anyway, if at all. So the decline in physical media, though sad to see, is inevitable. Convenience trumps fidelity, as they say.

7. Thomas Newton

Thomas Newton Screenwriter

Thomas Newton
    The Target here got rid of most of their CD section. Now the number of unique titles they have on display isn't much more than you could fit into a tabletop CD holder. Best Buy's selection is better, but still really tiny.

Did I say how much I miss Tower Records?

Tina_H_V, B-ROLL, Darby67 and 6 others like this.
  8. mrz7

mrz7 Second Unit

Scott Zuncic
    I ditto your reply regarding Tower Records......that was such a great place for EVERYTHING all music, movies and tv shows!!! :)

9. tlc38tlc38

Trent
    I miss Sam Goody.

Tina_H_V, Darby67, LouA and 2 others like this.
  10. AndrewCrossett

AndrewCrossett Second Unit

When the local Best Buy here opened in 2009, the entire center section of the store was given over to CD's and DVD's. Maybe 8 or 10 aisles. That's now been reduced to 3 aisles with two additional one-sided half-aisles. Only about one-quarter aisle still has CD's, and they're almost always "greatest hits" type things rather than actual albums, except for the newest releases. There is still a decent selection of TV-on-DVD, but some notable stuff is missing. (They never had the season 1 set for The Good Place.) They have an entire section for HBO series.

There is also a kiosk at the front of the store that has the new releases for DVD/Blu-ray, with CD's and video games on the ends. Also two other free-standing kiosks in one of the aisles with DVD's, and two of those discount tubs... one for DVD's and one for CD's (and I think another for Blu-rays back in the TV section).

The section of Barnes & Noble that used to be DVD's and CD's is now mostly DVD's. And the FYE in the mall has nearly eliminated their CD's and DVD's in favor of accessories and t-shirts and other non-media merchandise.

I always buy my phyical media at Best Buy if possible, in the forlorn hope that my meager purchases will make any difference to their decision making (which is made at the corporate level anyway, not at the store level).

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  11. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I was in a Newbury Comics store yesterday (regional New England chain) and they have more floor space dedicated to vinyl than CDs/Movies combined (though the bulk of the store is still mostly novelty "Spencer Gifts" type stuff, which is where FYE has been headed).

Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  12. DaveHof3

DaveHof3 Stunt Coordinator

David Hofstede
    Fry's used to be the last holdout for what seemed like a pretty comprehensive selection of TV shows on DVD, now that favorite haunts like Tower, Virgin Megastore, Suncoast and Circuit City all sleep with the fishes. But now they've gutted their inventory as well.

Tina_H_V, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. Paintbeanie

Paintbeanie Stunt Coordinator

Peter
    I used to frequent the Fry’s in Downers Grove IL when I lived there. It was always so special. If I was looking for a dvd that was slightly unusual or hard to find I could find it there. Their selection was awesome. I visit that area once a year and the last couple of years when I went to Fry’s it was abysmal. Their selection was not good and was a lot less than what they used to have.
    As for Best Buy, it’s been going downhill for a while. I used to visit it regularly and now I cannot even remember the last time I went in there. Their selection has been decreasing for years. It was so bad that when I got their rewards certificates I couldn’t even find any DVDs I wanted.

14. Message #34 of 856 Mar 5, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    As I recall, one of the last times I was in the one in Greenville, all there really was was everything new and current in both films and shows-- nothing vintage like there was the first time I was there.

Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  15. JamesSmith

JamesSmith Screenwriter

Have to admit I've noticed the dwindling of DVD's and CD's at Best Buy and other places, I know iTunes and amazon are a major factor in this (and I use them), but I still miss not seeing stuff at the retail outlets.
    James

Tina_H_V, Darby67 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  16. mrz7

mrz7 Second Unit

Scott Zuncic
    I live near the Fry's (in Downers Grove, IL)......and yes.....Fry's drastically reduced there inventory. They used to have a huge section in their store for DVD's and Blu-Rays. They are down to two aisles now. Very sad cause this was another great place to get hard to find tv shows. Not anymore :(

17. TJPC

TJPC Producer

Terry Carroll
    For years and years, my tastes have been so specialized, that Amazon is the only “store” I can shop at. I still buy CDs, but very few stores stock Soundtracks and Original Cast Broadway, and Ihave basically everything. I used to really enjoy browsing through selections when we had huge multi-story record stores on Yonge street in Toronto, but with their deaths, on line shopping became the only way.

Tina_H_V, GlennF, Suzanne.S and 4 others like this.
  18. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    You bet-- Amazon has practically everything, and it's where I've gotten a lot of the releases I've gotten.

Tina_H_V, Suzanne.S, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  19. Regulus

Regulus Cinematographer

William Hughes
    Seconded!

Darby67, Jeff Flugel and bmasters9 like this.
  20. John Karras

John Karras Second Unit

Lawrence
    lol...I spent too many hours of my youth combing Sam The Record Man's third floor clearance bins looking for cheap treasures. I sure miss those days.

curtmor, Tina_H_V, GlennF and 6 others like this.