1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Physical Media Issue: Crutchfield wades in

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Kyrsten Brad, May 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Kyrsten Brad

Kyrsten Brad Cinematographer

Brad
    6C0F08EF-0E8D-4AC7-8A24-4079EC859AF8.

Endgadget Article

Just popped up on my FB feed. Crutchfield asks users if they prefer digital or physical media citing a Engadget article (from Feb 2019).

With the discussions still raging nowadays on the issue, here’s another. And no I’m not saying physical media will come roaring back anytime soon. But the issue of digital landlords taking away paid-for digital purchases is coming to the fore.

2. bmasters9

bmasters9 Producer

Ben Masters
    My 2 cents: physical all the way!

3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That article is exaggerating some situations to grab the reader. I have heard of no incidents of anyone losing a title they had via the old UltraViolet system since it shutdown if the person followed the instructions for making sure their accounts were properly linked. And the closure of Filmstruck did not result in anyone losing something purchased, since it was a subscription service -- and has since been replaced with the new Criterion streaming service.

We've had this discussion over and over again here. There are pros and cons to both disc ownership and digital streaming libraries -- as well as streaming subscription services. Those people who eschew one for the other are missing out.

4. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    This is old news for folks like us who follow forums/articles of this types.

It might be "news" for this person's followers who are not hardcore into optical discs, downloads, etc ....

5. Radioman970

Radioman970 Lead Actor

James Perry
    [​IMG]