1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Physical and Digital report card for 2019

Discussion in 'Streaming and Digital Media' started by Cranston37, Jan 15, 2020.

Tags:
  1. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Just bought The Bravados during the Vudu sale and was disappointed at the soft transfer in the first 20 minutes. Just to check, I switched to the Movies Anywhere version and it’s clearly a newer transfer. Being fairly new to digital buying, does this happen often where the services might have different prints? On the other hand, Rio Bravo was the same transfer on all services (looks like the old off-color transfer on BD).

2. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    Yes, that definitely happens. The studio can be slow to provide the newer master to different services or neglect to do so at all, and then the services can sometimes take a while.

3. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Vudu is the most guilty when it comes to not updating transfers. They will frequently add sparking new 4K transfers while leaving the crusty old HDX versions in place.

4. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Yup, buyer beware as I have basically stopped purchasing titles from Vudu, unless, they're MA titles.

Peter Apruzzese likes this.
  5. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Another thing about "The Bravados" digital. When TT released their Blu-ray of it in 2018, the iTunes digital looked like an older transfer to me when I compared the two. However, that was back in 2018, so they might have upgraded it by now.

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/posts/4677897/

6. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    What I’ve noticed is that iTunes always provides you with the best quality copy that your system can handle, all based on whatever the newest master they have is. So, example: Warner redoes The Shining and puts out a new 4K master in 2019, replacing a master from 2007. iTunes provides this transfer to everyone who has the movie in their library regardless of what resolution they own. So even if you only own the HD version, iTunes is giving you access to an HD version of the 2019 master.

Vudu generally doesn’t do this. They’ll get the new 2019 4K master but only provide it to people who purchased the movie in 4K. If you had previously purchased it in HD, you’ll still get the 2007 master in HD, rather than an HD version of the 2019 master.

iTunes also provides audio separate from video, whereas Vudu doesn’t. So for instance, let’s say you have Atmos but not 4K. iTunes will give you the movie in HD with Atmos. Vudu will say “Only the 4K version comes with Atmos so if you can only play HD video, we’re not giving you the Atmos audio.”

In almost every instance, iTunes is the best storefront.

7. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Thanks for the info.

Josh Steinberg likes this.
  8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Peter,

This morning I did some more checking. I watched the first five minutes of "The Bravados" HD digitals on Vudu, iTunes and MoviesAnywhere. I also watched the first five minutes of my Twilight Time Blu-ray. I can verify that Vudu and iTunes digitals appear to be derived from the same transfer. Both of them have the same defects during the opening title sequence in which you can see dirt and little tears. The MoviesAnywhere digital doesn't have those defects as it appears to be derived from the same transfer as the TT Blu-ray which also doesn't have those visual defects.

9. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Producer

Peter Apruzzese
    Thanks for confirming, Robert. I could tell by the color that the MA version was a new Fox transfer. Great movie, BTW. I hadn’t seen it before yesterday.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Yes, I think it's a great movie too. I bought the HD digital from Vudu back in 2015, before Twilight Time released it on Blu-ray in 2018. It's one of those movies I try to watch every 5-6 years or so.