What's new

Phyllis? (1 Viewer)

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
Has anyone seen this series anywhere since the 80's? Does this series even have a potential release ahead?

DoreSchary

Agent
Real Name
Dore
I would love to see this released but I think we first need to get the final three seasons of The Mary Tyler Moore Show released (which has been announced). And then I think the next logical release would be Rhoda.

However, the long hiatus for MTM releases doesn't make me feel to optimistic about "Rhoda" and "Phyllis."

Also, if anyone is interested, the first two seasons of "Lou Grant" are available to stream from hulu.com

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Too bad it's not coming out NOW. The whole country is swept up in Cloris-mania, due to her raucous appearances on Dancing with the Stars. I don't think she's ever actually been more popular or nationally prominent than right at this moment.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This would've been the perfect time, but for once, Fox can't be faulted for not capitalizing on this. Those Dancing With The Stars casts aren't announced until about a month before the new season, and who would've figured an 82 year old woman dancing would've gotten so much attention?

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Considering the problems that MTM has had on DVD, I'd be shocked if this series made it out. Rhoda maybe but I doubt that Phyllis would be a priority. Unfortunately, even if they released the first season as a test I doubt it would get further than that. If we could at least see this series in syndie again that would be something.

jacktripper1

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jacob
So I'm guessing there's no hope.

I purchased a complete series set of Lou Grant (bootleg of course) and it was a great show. But I don't know whether I should purchase Rhoda or not. I haven't seen any of the episodes and I can't imagine her without Mary. But poor Phyllis. There isn't even bootleg copies of her!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
When Rhoda got her own show, she became more like Mary -- i.e., the "normal" one surrounded by eccentrics -- and her sister, Brenda, got the "Rhoda lines."

After Rhoda got married, she wasn't "Rhoda" any more at all -- and they knew it, because they got her divorced as quickly as they could. But it was too late.

Although it was successful, I think most MTM fans are disappointed in the "Rhoda" series.

Now, I remember "Phyllis" as being a funnier show, but it had two somewhat different formats for its two seasons, so it kind of struggled, too.

It had also had bad luck, with Barbara Colby, originally cast as Phyllis's boss, being killed after filming only three episodes, and Judith Lowry (Mother Dexter, probably the funniest character) passing away before the second season was finished filming.

Brian Himes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian

Phyllis did change drastically between the first and second season. In the second season, Phyllis started working for one of San Francisco's Board Of Supervisors and the show began to resemble Mary a bit. The writing was better, and the stories were much better constructed. Phyllis was still Phyllis, but not quite as flighty. Yes, Mother Dexter was the one who always put Phyllis in her place and it was sad that the actress died before season 2 finished.

I agree with your assesment of Rhoda as well. While Rhoda is one of my favorite shows of the 70s, it did have too many problems. They married her off too quickly and just as quickly divorced her. The show just never seemed to find its direction nor did it seem to know what it was really about. Married Rhoda? Divorced Rhoda? What? It's a shame that they really screwed up that show.

Still, I hope that we will get both shows on DVD eventually.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I would MUCH rather see "Phyllis" come out than "Rhoda".
I watched Rhoda more in it's first season than later on, and it was funny for a while but it soon became boring to me...then when she was divorced and they added alot of pointless characters it was over completely for me.

While Phyllis was a much less likable character than Rhoda, Cloris Leachman played the part perfectly, and the show was overall alot funnier to me...in that Phyllis pretty much got the disdain she deserved from alot of the other characters...especially Mother Dexter. But as someone mentioned above, the show was plagued with misfortune with actors dying (and being murdered)....and Cloris herself said it was not the fun experience she had hoped it would be...so maybe it was good it only lasted as long as it did.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I only want to see it again because of that hysterical theme song. Much better, anyway, than Rhoda's "la-la-la-LA-la" rubbish.

LCD22

Screenwriter

Rubbish? I love this theme to "Rhoda". I can't recall the theme to "Phyllis" at the moment.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Well Rhoda's "La la la LA la" song always used to confuse me with Alice's end theme song, which was "La la LA la la la." In other words, Alice would "la la la" her opening theme song of "New Girl in Town."

Jon Baker

Second Unit

Alice had the "bah bah bah bah bah" at the end of the opening theme as she was shown soaking her bunions in epson salt. In later seasons the "Bah Bah Bah" had changed to a jazzier "zah zah zah" as Linda Lavin became more confident in her singing skills. The closing theme was all sung in "La La La's" ending with the famous "Bah Bah Bah Bah Bah"

Personally, I don't think the annoying child-chanted "Rhoda" theme holds a candle to the smooth vocal stylings of Linda Lavin.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
After seeing the foul-mouthed witch she's been on "Dancing with the Stars," I can't imagine I'd be buying a full set of her -- not that the show was that good anyway. Took me two episodes to never tune in again.

And you're right about Rhoda. She was always a supporting character, and not strong enough to carry a show by herself.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley

She needed a better theme song, is all. After all, Mary could turn the world on with a smile. Rhoda couldn't turn anyone on. Her hubby dumped her after only a year of marriage. And Alice optimistically sang "if things work out she's gonna stay awhile." And so she did--for about 10 seasons.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks