What's new

Phrases and terminology that needs to STOP! (1 Viewer)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Overuse of "like." I bought, like, 3 oranges and they were, like, the best oranges I ever had.

I used to say "like" until a friend's dad said something to me about it. I'm glad he was so honest. Since then I've controlled it, though it occasionally slips out.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
"Who dat?"

"Axe" instead of 'ask'.

"Bring it!"

"Talk to the hand."

"Blog" Now, I realize that this is an internet term, but it just sprang up overnight and I was immediately expected to know what the hell it was, that's why I hate it. :D

"My crib." Your an adult now, it's a house/apartment/condo.

This is one of the most entertaining threads i've seen in a while. :laugh:

PeterK

Supporting Actor

I thought that's what it was!!?!?!?

I also hate it when people speak internet short forms.

don't say AKA or BRB or LOLoutloud! whats the point. it's meant to be easier to type. It's actually just as hard or harder to speak.

Lynda-Marie

Supporting Actor
Like you John, I am not a fan of words that just spring up overnight. Especially when I am treated like an idiot for failing to understand it the second I hear the word.

Several months back, Amazon.com added a "Plog" to my account, and annoying pop ups kept telling me to "Plog."

I did not appreciate Amazon.com's customer service drones patronizing me with the phrase, "Well, everyone knows what a BLOG is." This was another word I had not heard. For all I knew, it was a new euphemism for a body part or function.

After the customer service department received a number of increasingly hostile e mails, they finally decided to shut me up by removing the feature from my account.

I still have no idea what "plog" or "plogging" are supposed to mean. Maybe they should be added to a list of masturbation euphemisms - example: "Go Plog yourself!" instead of "Go f$#* yourself!"

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I used "For all intensive purposes" once and got slammed about it. All these years and I've been using it wrong :b

Obviously "For all intents and purposes" makes more sense, but since when do phrases need to make sense in order to use them??? ;)

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Didn't Dylan say "bring it" a lot on Andromeda? It sounded completely of place.

AKA, if it means "also known as" as it traditionally has, did not originate on the internet.

Speaking of that, I don't know if "teh internet" was a legitimate typo, or if it was the hip-and-annoying internet spelling. "He's teh coolerest!"

It's kind of off-topic, but "intensive purposes" reminds me of other commonly mistaken terms such as:

It's a doggy dog world.
He tried to make me his escape goat.

I picture a guy jumping out the back of a cargo plane on a goat with a parachute attached to it.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Lynda-Marie. :laugh:!

I just might use that the next time someone gives me a hard time..."Go plog yourself you mother plogger!"

It work's on two fronts, 1. it still retains the effectiveness of the 'F' word and 2. it'll take them a while to figure out just what the hell you said.

:D

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

AKA is used to denote an alias. Been around for a long time.

One thing I'd like to see stop is the turning of nouns into verbs.

"We are efforting that as we speak."

"I am caveating my remarks."

"We are architecting the design."

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Business-speak like "outside the box" and "proactive."

The Dallas Morning News has an article every other week about using and misusing language. Last week's was about the the prefix "pre." Preapproved, preboard, etc. You can't board the plane before you board the plane!

I also hate "for the record" and "FYI."

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I particularly hate it when a person is spoken of as having "authored" a book or article. What do you mean he authored it? Presumably he is its author, but "author" is a noun, from the Latin "auctor", which is itself derived from the causative form of the verb "augeo", to increase! It's as much as to use "writered" instead of "wrote".

I think AKA for "also known as" is a bit of police-blotter slang, and thus belongs to an earlier age of linguistic corruption than the present.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Alright, for those willing to humiliate themselves, what about word's and phrases that you know you shouldn't say but do on an almost constant basis?

For me...

"That rocks!" or the variation "That kicks so much ass!"

"Cool!"

"Get outta town!"

"Sweet!"

"Awesome!"

"Your harshin' my buzz." Now, I don't drink and I certaintly don't do drugs, but I sometimes say that if i'm feeling happy and someone says something to bring me down.

and of course the immortal...

"No way, dude!"

:b

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks