Photoshop Color issue with printer

Discussion in 'Computers' started by MarkHastings, Jan 11, 2005.

1. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Executive Producer

I have a photo that prints out completely different on our thermal printer (used for CD labels).

The problem is that the colors (in Photoshop) are much brighter than when it gets printed out, so I have to brighten the photo way too much to get a desired print out.

I figured this was a color setting issue in Photoshop, but I've tried all of the settings (even turned off color mangement) and still no luck in coming close to the printed version.

Now here's the kicker...When I open the same photo into Microsofts Imaging application, the photo is much darker and looks almost exactly like the print out does.

I took a screen grab of the color differences:
    [​IMG]
    The image on the left is how the file looks in Photoshop and the image on the right is how it looks in Microsofts Imaging app.

Very odd. It's the exact same file, yet looks different in Photoshop.

When looking at the levels in Photoshop, this is what I got:
    [​IMG]
    When I bring the leftmost arrow to the point that the red arrow is pointing to, the image looks like the printed version, but then if I print THIS version, it's too dark.

p.s. The file is a TIFF file. Our thermal printer app only accept CMYK TIFFs so I can't use anything else. I figure there must be some kind of issue with Photoshop reading TIFF files?

p.s.s. I create the TIFF files with no compression and I've tried using the IBM PC and the Macintosh byte order, but neither seem to make a difference.

Any ideas?

2. Andrew Chong

Andrew Chong Supporting Actor

Could it be a colour management issue? Perhaps Photoshop's ICC profiles aren't set optimally? Adobe's method of having the user try to match levels 'by eye' is very lacking. I believe that the guaranteed way to ensure consistent output from monitors, printers, scanners, etc. is through the use of a colorimeter such as that by Monaco in concert with its software. Sorry, that's all I can suggest.

3. Will_B

Will_B Producer

If the file is CMYK, why does your screen grab (of the Levels dialogue box) show RGB?

4. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I'm virtually certain it's a gamma correction issue. MS Photo Editor will automatically assume a certain level of "gamma" [luminance nonlinearity] for a particualr file format, and Photoshop may assume another. You will need to change gamma and then fiddle with contrast and brightness to get the required results. For instance, I have to compensate for this with screencaps from a video camera [gamma ~1.5]. From your capture, it appears the black level is set far below your picture's black, and the white level is about the middle of your picture's greyscale. So you might want to correct contrast and brightness first.