What's new

Photos: Open Your Blu-Ray/DVD Vault and show us your valuables (1 Viewer)

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I just moved and haven't unpacked yet, so apologies for the lack of photos...

But my prize collectible is probably my autographed copy of "2001: A Space Odyssey" -- Keir Dullea signed it for me, it's the Warner snapper version that has Dullea's face on the cover (I've got a bunch of different editions of the film but it seemed to make sense to ask him to sign a copy he was on the cover of). It's my all-time favorite movie, so having the star not only sign it but personalize it for me was a huge treat.

Similarly, I have an autographed, personalized copy of Lindsey Buckingham's CD "Seeds We Sow" that I treasure. I'm a huge, huge fan of his guitar playing, but when I first heard of him, it was just around the time of the 1997 Fleetwood Mac reunion, and it seemed like I'd never get a chance to see him perform as a solo artist. Got lucky in that over the past eight or ten years, he's really been around a lot. The CD I got signed at a Q&A session he did in NYC at the 92nd Street Y. In advance of the show, they had said that there would be no autographs or anything like that, so I didn't think to bring anything with me. When they announced after the talk that he'd be doing signings, I just bought a second copy of the CD at the merch stand (since I already owned it at home) and had him sign it. Would have picked a different album, and probably chosen a vinyl over a CD, but the unexpectedness of the opportunity makes up for it not being my first choice of item.

I was able to get Paramount's beautiful Blu-ray of "Wings" signed/personalized by William Wellman Jr (the director's son) and Ben Burtt, who did the sound effects on the new audio track. (This was at a screening and Q&A for the film in NYC around when the disc came out.) Ben Burtt also signed/personalized my Star Wars saga Blu-ray. He remarked that he had three films he worked on showing in NYC that weekend (Wings, Red Tails, and the 3D re-release of Phantom Menace), "Wings" was the best and he was glad that people came to that screenings.

(If you haven't picked up on this from my posting, I'm a big fan of getting autographed items personalized... I don't really do the paid autograph thing, or the autograph lines where you get 10-15 seconds with the person and they don't even have time to look up. But if it's a scenario where I get to have a conversation with someone, even briefly, it's great to have a memento of that.)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Most of the autographs I get tend to be in the world of classical music. We used to have a commercial classical music station in Houston called KRTS that would put on events in which they gave away prizes or had a guest on hand to give autographs. Once they had mezzo-soprano Cecelia Bartoli who was in town for an opera or a recital. The event was at the now defunct Sound Warehouse. Most people in line had bought a CD for Cecelia to autograph. I think I was the only one who bought a laserdisc as well, which Cecelia sisgned to my wife and me.

Autographs.jpg

At another such event, conductor Christoph Eschenback signed my copy of the Brahms symphonies. At another event, we won tickets for two operas at Houston Grand Opera, Der Rosenkavalier and Verdi's Attila. Part of the prize was backstage passes. Soprano Dawn Upshaw, who was Sophie in Der Rosenkavalier autographed an 8x10 glossy for us. Samuel Ramey, who played Attila autographed a CD for us.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
My most prized possession is an autographed, limited, numbered first edition (1909) of Sarah Bernhardt's autobiography. This qualifies since she made movies.
No, old as I am, I wasn't present to ask her for her signature. :)

Jacksmyname

Second Unit
Real Name
Jack Walder
No photo yet, but the only item I have is the Twilight Time Blu Ray of the original Journey To The Center Of The Earth, signed by Pat Boone.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks